Changelog for GenI-0.24.3If this renders badly as markdown, see the plain text version
GenI 0.24.3 15 Nov 2013
Lexical selection: trees that fail enrichment due to unification failure are now discarded
Previously, there was some confusion over whether the expected behaviour was for this to be an error or warning. The behaviour after this fix is that missing nodes trigger a warning, an unification failures trigger an error (discarded tree)
Realisation: When anonymising singleton variables, GenI preserves their constraints. This should fix some subtle overgeneration problems that may arise in automatically generated grammars
GenI 0.24, 18 Sep 2013
Note that the changes between this release and 0.20 are considered to be under the BSD3 license. GenI overall remains dual-licensed under the GPL and any commercial-use terms you may wish to negotiate with INRIA. Having secured the rights to use GenI 0.20, you may freely use GenI 0.24 in a similar fashion.
CHANGES TO WATCH OUT FOR
- Server/GUI changes: Semantic input must be full input.
foo(x) bar(y z)
semantics:[foo(x) bar(y z)]
- Customisable semantics : now you can accept any arbitrary input for which you can define a mapping to a GenI-style test case
- API change: the custom semantics argument is mandatory
- More extensive documentation
- Visual distinction between explicit null adjunction constraints (marked NA) and constraints inserted by GenI (marked INA)
- Bugfixes (now retains show-feature state across debugger steps)
- More informative top/bot unification failure diagnostics in the trash
- New "guided realisation" optimisation (focus on one polarity path at a time)
- Fixed errors where top/bottom unification wasn't being done
- Builds with haskell-platform 2013.2.0.0
GenI 0.22, 14 Apr 2012
Note that the changes between this release and 0.20 are considered to be under the BSD3 license. GenI overall remains dual-licensed under the GPL and any commercial-use terms you may wish to negotiate with INRIA. Having secured the rights to use GenI 0.20, you may freely use GenI 0.22 in a similar fashion.
CHANGES TO WATCH OUT FOR
- Separation of geni and geni-gui into two packages; simpler installation
- Now using the top feature for lemanchors instead of bot
- Empty disjunctions forbidden in unification variables
- JSON input/output to morph processors have changed
- Lexical selection unifies semantics of tree schema + lemma with input semantics.
- New results tab with reminder of inputs
- Add gui element to display unanchored lexical selection.
- Jump to new tab in debugger panel when created.
- Update gui to use Pretty instead of Show
- Rename $algo-session tab to "tree assembly"
- Make warnings resizable.
- Fix display of path equations with 'interface' in them.
- Fix #50 - load button has no effect.
- Fix #49 - correct order that leaf nodes are returned.
- Show GenI version in About box.
- Add detect polarities and root feature editor to main gui.
- Literate GenI and genimanual replaced with http://projects.haskell.org/GenI/manual
Builds with GHC 7
- Early null-adjunction and semfilter obligatory
- Handling of zero-literal semantic items restored
- Unconstrained polarities in automaton construction. This makes it possible to do polarity detection with only a weakly specified root feature like [cat:_], and without needing the relevant feature to be implemented everywhere.
- --trees (used to be --macros; latter is deprecated)
- --batchdir now optional (defaults to a new temp dir)
- --maxsteps (stop after N steps)
- --extrapol REMOVED (use root feature instead)
Logging facility (not used much in GenI yet) Can be configured in ~/.geni/config.yaml, for example logging:
name : NLP.GenI.Console level : WARN format : simple "$msg"
name : NLP.Geni.LexicalSelection level : DEBUG format : simple "$utcTime $loggername $msg" handler : stderr
Less repetition in warnings (hopefully easier to read)
More hiding of constructors for safety
New enrichment option for setting co-anchors (foo.lex=hello)
Lexical selection performance enhancements
Variables that only occur once are converted to anonymous, should make unification a bit more efficient
Fix #39: reject malformed root feature input.
- Variables with constraints on their possible values (?X/foo|bar)
- Fancy disjunctions: tree schemata now allow disjunctions of unification variables (but not recursive). These must flatten down to plain old atomic disjunction once converted to elementary trees
Time metric in statistics (Laura Perez)
Do top/bottom unification on na-constrained nodes during initialisation.
Polarity detection relaxed to work with constrained variables too. (?X/foo|bar gives the result as foo|bar)
Bugfix in interpretation of root feature (it should be sorted).
- --rootfeat always assumed, but defaults to '[cat:_]'
- '-r' a short command line option for '--rootfeat'.
- Somewhat safer and easier to understand API (still no stability yet)
- Replace String with Text in GeniVal
- Replace Show abuse with custom Pretty class
- Slightly less stateful (no target semantics in state)
- Much rearranging and renaming (sorry!)
- New: ability to provide custom lexical selection action
- New: ability to provide custom morph postprocessing action
- de-haskell98 (Gwern Branwen)
- No more null builder.
TOOLS (darcs get --lazy http://code.haskell.org/GenI)
- new tool, genireport: summarise batch generation results
- geniserver now talks over HTTP using a JSON format
- Use Sylvain Salvati's xmg2geni.xsl instead of geniconvert.
- xmg2geni: fix treatment of missing lexemes.
- xmg2geni: treat type=coanchor as other nodes in GenI.
- geniwrapper: illustrates C wrapper of GenI API
GenI 0.20, 29 Sep 2009
NON BACKWARD-COMPATIBLE CHANGES
- GHC 6.8 or higher now required (GHC 6.10 + Haskell Platform preferred)
- Input files now assumed to be UTF-8 encoded (output still ISO8859-1; hopefully locale-based in GHC 6.12)
- Interface between GenI and morphological realiser now uses a JSON format.
- Rootfeat optimisation now mandatory (flag no longer recognised)
- new flag --version now works and reports version from Cabal file
- new flag --dump dumps derivation output to stdout in JSON format
- new flag --ranking foo ranks outputs according to OT-style constraints expressed in foo
- --batchdir now works with --testcase
- --batchdir now dumps derivations and statistics in JSON format
- --batchdir now works with instructions files
- --metrics always expands 'default' to the default metrics (in addition to any other statistics you request)
- new optimisation: early null-adjunction detection
- Reference manual in docs/genimanual.pdf (make docs)
- cabal install -fgui and cabal install produce the same underlying library only the executable is different
- Easier GUI installation for MacOS X (application bundles now built automatically; no manual intervention required)
- Adopted odd/even convention to distinguish devel builds from stable ones (eg. GenI 0.21.x is devel whereas GenI 0.20.x is stable)
GenI 0.17.4, 6 Apr 2009
GHC 6.6 support
GUI disabled by default
GenI 0.17.3, 3 Apr 2009
Simplified build method
- one single cabal package instead of two
- cabal configure -f-gui to disable GUI
- makefile stripped out
Lexical selection on empty semantics now allowed
- This is so that the zero-literal semantics mechanism can work again
Better help text
Baked-in unit testing (geni --unit-test)
GenI 0.10, 11 Dec 2006
- Performance much improved after Haskell profiling
- Pre-compiled grammars option, geniserver (buggy)
GenI 0.9, 8 Dec 2006
- Switched to new syntax: variables now must be prefixed with '?'
- Switched from Alex/Happy to Parsec
- Added API documentation via haddock
GenI 0.8, 16 Sep 2005
- Support for latin-1 characters using Unicode wxhaskell
- Added a configure script and an install target in Makefile
- Changed from use of configuration files to use of command line switches
- Full configuration GUI
- Implementation of atomic disjunction
- --ignore-semantics mode (Jackie Lai)
GenI 0.7, 8 June 2005
- Upgraded to ghc 6.4, wxwidgets 2.6, wxhaskell 0.9.4
GenI 0.6, 3 May 2005
- User interface fixes (Window size bugs)
- Interface with Yannick Parmientier's selection module