[[!comment format=mdwn username="http://joey.kitenet.net/" nickname="joey" subject="comment 1" date="2011-02-22T18:44:28Z" content=""" I see the following problems with this scheme: - Disallows removal of files when disconnected. It's currently safe to force that, as long as git-annex tells you enough other repos are belived to have the file. Just as long as you only force on one machine (say your laptop). With your scheme, if you drop a file while disconnected, any other host could see that the counter is still at N, because your laptop had the file last time it was online, and can decide to drop the file, and lose the last version. - pushing a changed counter commit to other repos is tricky, because they're not bare, and the network topology to get the commit pulled into the other repo could vary. - Merging counter files issues. If the counter file doesn't automerge, two repos dropping the same file will conflict. But, if it does automerge, it breaks the counter conflict detection. - Needing to revert commits is going to be annoying. An actual git revert could probably not reliably be done. It's need to construct a revert and commit it as a new commit. And then try to push that to remotes, and what if *that* push conflicts? - I do like the pre-removal dropping somewhat as an alternative to trust checking. I think that can be done with current git-annex though, just remove the files from the location log, but keep them in-annex. Dropping a file only looks at repos that the location log says have a file; so other repos can have retained a copy of a file secretly like this, and can safely remove it at any time. I'd need to look into this a bit more to be 100% sure it's safe, but have started [[todo/hidden_files]]. - I don't see any reduced round trips. It still has to contact N other repos on drop. Now, rather than checking that they have a file, it needs to push a change to them. """]]