Changelog for git-annex-5.20131130If this renders badly as markdown, see the plain text version
git-annex (5.20131130) unstable; urgency=low
- init: Fix a bug that caused git annex init, when run in a bare repository, to set core.bare=false.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Sat, 30 Nov 2013 16:32:35 -0400
git-annex (5.20131127.1) unstable; urgency=low
- Rebuild that does not try to use quvi 0.9 from experimental.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Thu, 28 Nov 2013 07:57:36 -0400
git-annex (5.20131127) unstable; urgency=low
- webapp: Detect when upgrades are available, and upgrade if the user desires. (Only when git-annex is installed using the prebuilt binaries from git-annex upstream, not from eg Debian.)
- assistant: Detect when the git-annex binary is modified or replaced, and either prompt the user to restart the program, or automatically restart it.
- annex.autoupgrade configures both the above upgrade behaviors.
- Added support for quvi 0.9. Slightly suboptimal due to limitations in its interface compared with the old version.
- Bug fix: annex.version did not get set on automatic upgrade to v5 direct mode repo, so the upgrade was performed repeatedly, slowing commands down.
- webapp: Fix bug that broke switching between local repositories that use the new guarded direct mode.
- Android: Fix stripping of the git-annex binary.
- Android: Make terminal app show git-annex version number.
- Android: Re-enable XMPP support.
- reinject: Allow to be used in direct mode.
- Futher improvements to git repo repair. Has now been tested in tens of thousands of intentionally damaged repos, and successfully repaired them all.
- Allow use of --unused in bare repository.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Wed, 27 Nov 2013 18:41:44 -0400
git-annex (5.20131120) unstable; urgency=low
- Fix Debian package to not try to run test suite, since haskell-tasty is not out of new or in Build-Depends yet.
- dropunused, addunused: Allow "all" instead of a range to act on all unused data.
- Ensure execute bit is set on directories when core.sharedrepository is set.
- Ensure that core.sharedrepository is honored when creating the .git/annex directory.
- Improve repair code in the case where the index file is corrupt, and this hides other problems from git fsck.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:54:18 -0400
git-annex (5.20131118) unstable; urgency=low
- Direct mode repositories now have core.bare=true set, to prevent accidentally running git commands that try to operate on the work tree, and so do the wrong thing in direct mode.
- annex.version is now set to 5 for direct mode repositories. This upgrade is handled fully automatically, no need to run git annex upgrade
- The "status" command has been renamed to "info", to allow "git annex status" to be used in direct mode repositories, now that "git status" won't work in them.
- The -c option now not only modifies the git configuration seen by git-annex, but it is passed along to every git command git-annex runs.
- watcher: Avoid loop when adding a file owned by someone else fails in indirect mode because its permissions cannot be modified.
- webapp: Avoid encoding problems when displaying the daemon log file.
- webapp: Improve UI around remote that have no annex.uuid set, either because setup of them is incomplete, or because the remote git repository is not a git-annex repository.
- Include ssh-keygen in standalone bundle.
- Allow optionally configuring git-annex with -fEKG to enable awesome remote monitoring interfaceat http://localhost:4242/
- Fix bug that caused bad information to be written to the git-annex branch when running describe or other commands with a remote that has no uuid.
- Work around Android linker problem that had prevented git-annex from running on Android 4.3 and 4.4.
- repair: Handle case where index file is corrupt, but all objects are ok.
- assistant: Notice on startup when the index file is corrupt, and auto-repair.
- Fix direct mode merge bug when a direct mode file was deleted and replaced with a directory. An ordering problem caused the directory to not get created in this case. Thanks to Tim for the test case.
- Direct mode .git/annex/objects directories are no longer left writable, because that allowed writing to symlinks of files that are not present, which followed the link and put bad content in an object location. Thanks to Tim for the test case.
- fsck: Fix up .git/annex/object directory permissions.
- Switched to the tasty test framework.
- Android: Adjust default .gitignore to ignore .thumbnails at any location in the tree, not just at its top.
- webapp: Check annex.version.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:45:43 -0400
git-annex (4.20131106) unstable; urgency=low
- Improve local pairing behavior when two computers both try to start the pairing process separately.
- sync: Work even when the local git repository is new and empty, with no master branch.
- gcrypt, bup: Fix bug that prevented using these special remotes with encryption=pubkey.
- Fix enabling of gcrypt repository accessed over ssh; git-annex-shell gcryptsetup had a bug that caused it to fail with permission denied.
- Fix zombie process that occurred when switching between repository views in the webapp.
- map: Work when there are gcrypt remotes.
- Fix build w/o webapp.
- Fix exception handling bug that could cause .git/annex/index to be used for git commits outside the git-annex branch. Known to affect git-annex when used with the git shipped with Ubuntu 13.10.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:17:47 -0400
git-annex (4.20131101) unstable; urgency=low
- The "git annex content" command is renamed to "git annex wanted".
- New --want-get and --want-drop options which can be used to test preferred content settings. For example, "git annex find --in . --want-drop"
- assistant: When autostarted, wait 5 seconds before running the startup scan, to avoid contending with the user's desktop login process.
- webapp: When setting up a bare shared repository, enable non-fast-forward pushes.
- sync: Show a hint about receive.denyNonFastForwards when a push fails.
- directory, webdav: Fix bug introduced in version 4.20131002 that caused the chunkcount file to not be written. Work around repositories without such a file, so files can still be retreived from them.
- assistant: Automatically repair damanged git repository, if it can be done without losing data.
- assistant: Support repairing git remotes that are locally accessible (eg, on removable drives).
- add: Fix reversion in 4.20130827 when adding unlocked files that have not yet been committed.
- unannex: New, much slower, but more safe behavior: Copies files out of the annex. This avoids an unannex of one file breaking other files that link to the same content. Also, it means that the content remains in the annex using up space until cleaned up with "git annex unused". (The behavior of unannex --fast has not changed; it still hard links to content in the annex. --fast was not made the default because it is potentially unsafe; editing such a hard linked file can unexpectedly change content stored in the annex.)
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Fri, 01 Nov 2013 11:34:27 -0400
git-annex (4.20131024) unstable; urgency=low
- webapp: Fix bug when adding a remote and git-remote-gcrypt is not installed.
- The assitant can now run scheduled incremental fsck jobs on the local repository and remotes. These can be configured using vicfg or with the webapp.
- repair: New command, which can repair damaged git repositories (even ones not using git-annex).
- webapp: When git repository damange is detected, repairs can be done using the webapp UI.
- Automatically and safely detect and recover from dangling .git/annex/index.lock files, which would prevent git from committing to the git-annex branch, eg after a crash.
- assistant: Detect stale git lock files at startup time, and remove them.
- addurl: Better sanitization of generated filenames.
- Better sanitization of problem characters when generating URL and WORM keys.
- The control socket path passed to ssh needs to be 17 characters shorter than the maximum unix domain socket length, because ssh appends stuff to it to make a temporary filename. Closes: #725512
- status: Fix space leak in local mode, introduced in version 4.20130920.
- import: Skip .git directories.
- Remove bogus runshell loop check.
- addurl: Improve message when adding url with wrong size to existing file.
- Fixed handling of URL keys that have no recorded size.
- status: Fix a crash if a temp file went away while its size was being checked for status.
- Deal with git check-attr -z output format change in git 1.8.5.
- Work around sed output difference that led to version containing a newline on OSX.
- sync: Fix automatic resolution of merge conflicts where one side is an annexed file, and the other side is a non-annexed file, or a directory.
- S3: Try to ensure bucket name is valid for archive.org.
- assistant: Bug fix: When run in a subdirectory, files from incoming merges were wrongly added to that subdirectory, and removed from their original locations.
- Windows: Deal with strange msysgit 1.8.4 behavior of not understanding DOS formatted paths for --git-dir and --work-tree.
- Removed workaround for bug in git 1.8.4r0.
- Added git-recover-repository command to git-annex source (not built by default; this needs to move to someplace else).
- webapp: Move sidebar to the right hand side of the screen.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Thu, 24 Oct 2013 12:59:55 -0400
git-annex (4.20131002) unstable; urgency=low
- Note that the layout of gcrypt repositories has changed, and if you created one you must manually upgrade it. See http://git-annex.branchable.com/upgrades/gcrypt/
- webapp: Support setting up and using encrypted git repositories on any ssh server, as well as on rsync.net.
- git-annex-shell: Added support for operating inside gcrypt repositories.
- Disable receive.denyNonFastForwards when setting up a gcrypt special remote, since gcrypt needs to be able to fast-forward the master branch.
- import: Preserve top-level directory structure.
- Use cryptohash rather than SHA for hashing when no external hash program is available. This is a significant speedup for SHA256 on OSX, for example.
- Added SKEIN256 and SKEIN512 backends.
- Android build redone from scratch, many dependencies updated, and entire build can now be done using provided scripts.
- assistant: Clear the list of failed transfers when doing a full transfer scan. This prevents repeated retries to download files that are not available, or are not referenced by the current git tree.
- indirect, direct: Better behavior when a file is not owned by the user running the conversion.
- add, import, assistant: Better preserve the mtime of symlinks, when when adding content that gets deduplicated.
- Send a git-annex user-agent when downloading urls. Overridable with --user-agent option. (Not yet done for S3 or WebDAV due to limitations of libraries used.)
- webapp: Fixed a bug where when a new remote is added, one file may fail to sync to or from it due to the transferrer process not yet knowing about the new remote.
- OSX: Bundled gpg upgraded, now compatible with config files written by MacGPG.
- assistant: More robust inotify handling; avoid crashing if a directory cannot be read.
- Moved list of backends and remote types from status to version command.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Wed, 02 Oct 2013 16:00:39 -0400
git-annex (4.20130920) unstable; urgency=low
- webapp: Initial support for setting up encrypted removable drives.
- Recommend using my patched gcrypt, which fixes some bugs: https://github.com/joeyh/git-remote-gcrypt
- Support hot-swapping of removable drives containing gcrypt repositories.
- list: New command, displays a compact table of remotes that contain files. (Thanks, anarcat for display code and mastensg for inspiration.)
- fsck: Fix detection and fixing of present direct mode files that are wrongly represented as standin symlinks on crippled filesystems.
- sync: Fix bug that caused direct mode mappings to not be updated when merging files into the tree on Windows.
- sync: Don't fail if the directory it is run in gets removed by the sync.
- addurl: Fix quvi audodetection, broken in last release.
- status: In local mode, displays information about variance from configured numcopies levels. (--fast avoids calculating these)
- gcrypt: Ensure that signing key is set to one of the participants keys.
- webapp: Show encryption information when editing a remote.
- Avoid unnecessarily catting non-symlink files from git, which can be so large it runs out of memory.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:34:51 -0400
git-annex (4.20130911) unstable; urgency=low
- Fix problem with test suite in non-unicode locale.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Wed, 11 Sep 2013 12:14:16 -0400
git-annex (4.20130909) unstable; urgency=low
- initremote: Syntax change when setting up an encrypted special remote. Now use keyid=$KEYID rather than the old encryption=$KEYID
- forget: New command, causes git-annex branch history to be forgotten in a way that will spread to other clones of the repository. (As long as they're running this version or newer of git-annex.)
- forget --drop-dead: Completely removes mentions of repositories that have been marked as dead from the git-annex branch.
- sync, assistant: Force push of the git-annex branch. Necessary to ensure it gets pushed to remotes after being rewritten by forget.
- Added gcrypt support. This combines a fully encrypted git repository (using git-remote-gcrypt) with an encrypted git-annex special remote.
- sync: Support syncing with gcrypt remotes.
- importfeed: Also ignore transient problems with downloading content from feeds.
- Honor core.sharedrepository when receiving and adding files in direct mode.
- enableremote: gpg keys can be removed from those a remote encrypts to by passing "keyid-=$KEYID". keyid+= is also provided. (Thanks, guilhem for the patch.)
- Added encryption=pubkey scheme, which encrypts to public keys directly rather than the hybrid approach. See documentation for advantages and disadvantages, but encryption=hybrid is the recommended scheme still. (Thanks, guilhem for the patch.)
- Fix Feeds display in build flags.
- Remind user when annex-ignore is set for some remotes, if unable to get or drop a file, possibly because it's on an ignored remote.
- gpg: Force --no-textmode in case the user has it turned on in config.
- Allow building without quvi support.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Mon, 09 Sep 2013 09:47:02 -0400
git-annex (4.20130827) unstable; urgency=low
- Youtube support! (And 53 other video hosts). When quvi is installed, git-annex addurl automatically uses it to detect when an page is a video, and downloads the video file.
- web special remote: Also support using quvi, for getting files, or checking if files exist in the web.
- unused: Is now a minimum of 30 times faster, and typically many more times than that (when a repository has several branches). (Thanks, guilhem for the patch.)
- unused: Fix bugs in two edge cases involving manually staged changes. (Thanks, guilhem for the patch.)
- Android: Fix bug in terminal app that caused it to spin using much CPU and battery. This problem was introduced in version 4.20130601.
- sync, merge: Bug fix: Don't try to merge into master when in a bare repo.
- import: Add options to control handling of duplicate files: --duplicate, --deduplicate, and --clean-duplicates
- mirror: New command, makes two repositories contain the same set of files.
- Set --clobber when running wget to ensure resuming works properly.
- Unescape characters in 'file://...' URIs. (Thanks, guilhem for the patch.)
- Better error message when trying to use a git remote that has annex.ignore set.
- Fix bug that caused typechanged symlinks to be assumed to be unlocked files, so they were added to the annex by the pre-commit hook.
- Debian: Run the builtin test suite as an autopkgtest.
- Debian: Recommend ssh-askpass, which ssh will use when the assistant is run w/o a tty. Closes: #719832
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:03:00 -0400
git-annex (4.20130815) unstable; urgency=low
- assistant, watcher: .gitignore files and other git ignores are now honored, when git 1.8.4 or newer is installed. (Thanks, Adam Spiers, for getting the necessary support into git for this.)
- importfeed: Ignores transient problems with feeds. Only exits nonzero when a feed has repeatedly had a problems for at least 1 day.
- importfeed: Fix handling of dots in extensions.
- Windows: Added support for encrypted special remotes.
- Windows: Fixed permissions problem that prevented removing files from directory special remote. Directory special remotes now fully usable.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:14:33 +0200
git-annex (4.20130802) unstable; urgency=low
- dropunused behavior change: Now refuses to drop the last copy of a file, unless you use the --force. This was the last place in git-annex that could remove data referred to by the git history, without being forced. Like drop, dropunused checks remotes, and honors the global annex.numcopies setting. (However, .gitattributes settings cannot apply to unused files.)
- Fix inverted logic in last release's fix for data loss bug, that caused git-annex sync on FAT or other crippled filesystems to add symlink standin files to the annex.
- importfeed can be used to import files from podcast feeds.
- webapp: When setting up a dedicated ssh key to access the annex on a host, set IdentitiesOnly to prevent the ssh-agent from forcing use of a different ssh key. That could result in unncessary password prompts, or prevent git-annex-shell from being run on the remote host.
- webapp: Improve handling of remotes whose setup has stalled.
- Add status message to XMPP presence tag, to identify to others that the client is a git-annex client. Closes: #717652
- webapp: When creating a repository on a removable drive, set core.fsyncobjectfiles, to help prevent data loss when the drive is yanked.
- Always build with -threaded, to avoid a deadlock when communicating with gpg.
- unused: No longer shows as unused tmp files that are actively being transferred.
- assistant: Fix NetWatcher to not sync with remotes that have remote.<name>.annex-sync set to false.
- assistant: Fix deadlock that could occur when adding a lot of files at once in indirect mode.
- assistant: Fix bug that caused it to stall when adding a very large number of files at once (around 5 thousand).
- OSX: Make git-annex-webapp run in the background, so that the app icon can be clicked on the open a new webapp when the assistant is already running.
- Improve test suite on Windows; now tests git annex sync.
- Fix a few bugs involving filenames that are at or near the filesystem's maximum filename length limit.
- find: Avoid polluting stdout with progress messages. Closes: #718186
- Escape ':' in file/directory names to avoid it being treated as a pathspec by some git commands. Closes: #718185
- Slow and ugly work around for bug #718517 in git 1.8.4~rc0, which broke git-cat-file --batch for filenames containing spaces. (Will be reverted after next git pre-release fixes the problem.)
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Fri, 02 Aug 2013 11:35:16 -0400
git-annex (4.20130723) unstable; urgency=low
- Fix data loss bug when adding an (uncompressed) tarball of a git-annex repository, or other file that begins with something that can be mistaken for a git-annex link. Closes: #717456
- New improved version of the git-annex logo, contributed by John Lawrence.
- Rsync.net have committed to support git-annex and offer a special discounted rate for git-annex users. Updated the webapp to reflect this. http://www.rsync.net/products/git-annex-pricing.html
- Install XDG desktop icon files.
- Support unannex and uninit in direct mode.
- Support import in direct mode.
- webapp: Better display of added files.
- fix: Preserve the original mtime of fixed symlinks.
- uninit: Preserve .git/annex/objects at the end, if it still has content, so that old versions of files and deleted files are not deleted. Print a message with some suggested actions.
- When a transfer is already being run by another process, proceed on to the next file, rather than dying.
- Fix checking when content is present in a non-bare repository accessed via http.
- Display byte sizes with more precision.
- watcher: Fixed a crash that could occur when a directory was renamed or deleted before it could be scanned.
- watcher: Partially worked around a bug in hinotify, no longer crashes if hinotify cannot process a directory (but can't detect changes in it)
- directory special remote: Fix checking that there is enough disk space to hold an object, was broken when using encryption.
- webapp: Differentiate between creating a new S3/Glacier/WebDav remote, and initializing an existing remote. When creating a new remote, avoid conflicts with other existing (or deleted) remotes with the same name.
- When an XMPP server has SRV records, try them, but don't then fall back to the regular host if they all fail.
- For long hostnames, use a hash of the hostname to generate the socket file for ssh connection caching.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:46:05 -0400
git-annex (4.20130709) unstable; urgency=low
- --all: New switch that makes git-annex operate on all data stored in the git annex, including old versions of files. Supported by fsck, get, move, copy.
- --unused: New switch that makes git-annex operate on all data found by the last run of git annex unused. Supported by fsck, move, copy.
- get, move, copy: Can now be run in a bare repository, like fsck already could. --all is enabled automatically in this case.
- merge: Now also merges synced/master or similar branches, which makes it useful to put in a post-receive hook to make a repository automatically update its working copy when git annex sync or the assistant sync with it.
- webapp: Fix ssh setup with nonstandard port, broken in last release.
- init: Detect systems on which git commit fails due to not being able to determine the FQDN, and put in a workaround so committing to the git-annex branch works.
- addurl --pathdepth: Fix failure when the pathdepth specified is deeper than the urls's path.
- Windows: Look for .exe extension when searching for a command in path.
- Pass -f to curl when downloading a file with it, so it propigates failure.
- Windows: Fix url to object when using a http remote.
- webapp: Fix authorized_keys line added when setting up a rsync remote on a server that also supports git-annex, to not force running git-annex-shell.
- OSX Mountain Lion: Fixed gpg bundled in dmg to not fail due to a missing gpg-agent.
- Android: gpg is built without --enable-minimal, so it interoperates better with other gpg builds that may default to using other algorithms for encryption.
- dropunused, addunused: Complain when asked to operate on a number that does not correspond to any unused key.
- fsck: Don't claim to fix direct mode when run on a symlink whose content is not present.
- Make --numcopies override annex.numcopies set in .gitattributes.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 09 Jul 2013 13:55:39 -0400
git-annex (4.20130627) unstable; urgency=low
- assistant --autostart: Automatically ionices the daemons it starts.
- assistant: Daily sanity check thread is run niced.
- bup: Handle /~/ in bup remote paths. Thanks, Oliver Matthews
- fsck: Ensures that direct mode is used for files when it's enabled.
- webapp: Fix bug when setting up a remote ssh repo repeatedly on the same server.
- webapp: Ensure that ssh keys generated for different directories on a server are always different.
- webapp: Fix bug setting up ssh repo if the user enters "~/" at the start of the path.
- assistant: Fix bug that prevented adding files written by gnucash, and more generally support adding hard links to files. However, other operations on hard links are still unsupported.
- webapp: Fix bug that caused the webapp to hang when built with yesod 1.2.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:21:55 -0400
git-annex (4.20130621) unstable; urgency=low
- Supports indirect mode on encfs in paranoia mode, and other filesystems that do not support hard links, but do support symlinks and other POSIX filesystem features.
- Android: Add .thumbnails to .gitignore when setting up a camera repository.
- Android: Make the "Open webapp" menu item open the just created repository when a new repo is made.
- webapp: When the user switches to display a different repository, that repository becomes the default repository to be displayed next time the webapp gets started.
- glacier: Better handling of the glacier inventory, which avoids
duplicate uploads to the same glacier repository by
git annex copy.
- Direct mode: No longer temporarily remove write permission bit of files when adding them.
- sync: Better support for bare git remotes. Now pushes directly to the master branch on such a remote, instead of to synced/master. This makes it easier to clone from a bare git remote that has been populated with git annex sync or by the assistant.
- Android: Fix use of cp command to not try to use features present only on build system.
- Windows: Fix hang when adding several files at once.
- assistant: In direct mode, objects are now only dropped when all associated files are unwanted. This avoids a repreated drop/get loop of a file that has a copy in an archive directory, and a copy not in an archive directory. (Indirect mode still has some buggy behavior in this area, since it does not keep track of associated files.) Closes: #712060
- status: No longer shows dead repositories.
- annex.debug can now be set to enable debug logging by default. The webapp's debugging check box does this.
- fsck: Avoid getting confused by Windows path separators
- Windows: Multiple bug fixes, including fixing the data written to the git-annex branch.
- Windows: The test suite now passes on Windows (a few broken parts are disabled).
- assistant: On Linux, the expensive transfer scan is run niced.
- Enable assistant and WebDAV support on powerpc and sparc architectures, which now have the necessary dependencies built.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:18:41 -0400
git-annex (4.20130601) unstable; urgency=medium
- XMPP: Git push over xmpp made much more robust.
- XMPP: Avoid redundant and unncessary pushes. Note that this breaks compatibility with previous versions of git-annex, which will refuse to accept any XMPP pushes from this version.
- XMPP: Send pings and use them to detect when contact with the server is lost.
- hook special remote: Added combined hook program support.
- Android app: Avoid using hard links to app's lib directory, which is sometimes on a different filesystem than the data directory.
- Fix bug in parsing of parens in some preferred content expressions. This fixes the behavior of the manual mode group.
- assistant: Work around git-cat-file's not reloading the index after files are staged.
- Improve error handling when getting uuid of http remotes to auto-ignore, like with ssh remotes.
- content: New command line way to view and configure a repository's preferred content settings.
- sync: Fix double merge conflict resolution handling.
- XMPP: Fix a file descriptor leak.
- Android: Added an "Open WebApp" item to the terminal's menu.
- Android: Work around Android devices where the
amcommand doesn't work.
- Can now restart certain long-running git processes if they crash, and continue working.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Sat, 01 Jun 2013 19:16:04 -0400
git-annex (4.20130521) unstable; urgency=low
- Sanitize debian changelog version before putting it into cabal file. Closes: #708619
- Switch to MonadCatchIO-transformers for better handling of state while catching exceptions.
- Fix a zombie that could result when running a process like gpg to read and write to it.
- Allow building with gpg2.
- Disable building with the haskell threaded runtime when the webapp is not built. This may fix builds on mips, s390x and sparc, which are failing to link -lHSrts_thr
- Temporarily build without webapp on kfreebsd-i386, until yesod is installable there again.
- Direct mode bug fix: After a conflicted merge was automatically resolved, the content of a file that was already present could incorrectly be replaced with a symlink.
- Fix a bug in the git-annex branch handling code that could cause info from a remote to not be merged and take effect immediately.
- Direct mode is now fully tested by the test suite.
- Detect bad content in ~/.config/git-annex/program and look in PATH instead.
- OSX: Fixed gpg included in dmg.
- Linux standalone: Back to being built with glibc 2.13 for maximum portability.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 21 May 2013 13:10:26 -0400
git-annex (4.20130516) unstable; urgency=low
- Android: The webapp is ported and working.
- Windows: There is a very rough Windows port. Do not trust it with important data.
- git-annex-shell: Ensure that received files can be read. Files transferred from some Android devices may have very broken permissions as received.
- direct mode: Direct mode commands now work on files staged in the index, they do not need to be committed to git.
- Temporarily add an upper bound to the version of yesod that can be built with, since yesod 1.2 has a great many changes that will require extensive work on the webapp.
- Disable building with the haskell threaded runtime when the assistant is not built. This may fix builds on s390x and sparc, which are failing to link -lHSrts_thr
- Avoid depending on regex-tdfa on mips, mipsel, and s390, where it fails to build.
- direct: Fix a bug that could cause some files to be left in indirect mode.
- When initializing a directory special remote with a relative path, the path is made absolute.
- SHA: Add a runtime sanity check that sha commands output something that appears to be a real sha.
- configure: Better checking that sha commands output in the desired format.
- rsync special remotes: When sending from a crippled filesystem, use the destination's default file permissions, as the local ones can be arbitrarily broken. (Ie, ----rwxr-x for files on Android)
- migrate: Detect if a file gets corrupted while it's being migrated.
- Debian: Add a menu file.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Thu, 16 May 2013 11:03:35 -0400
git-annex (4.20130501) unstable; urgency=low
- sync, assistant: Behavior changes: Sync with remotes that have annex-ignore set, so that git remotes on servers without git-annex installed can be used to keep clients' git repos in sync.
- assistant: Work around misfeature in git 1.8.2 that makes
git commit --alow-empty -m ""run an editor.
- sync: Bug fix, avoid adding to the annex the dummy symlinks used on crippled filesystems.
- Add public repository group. (And inpreferreddir to preferred content expressions.)
- webapp: Can now set up Internet Archive repositories.
- S3: Dropping content from the Internet Archive doesn't work, but their API indicates it does. Always refuse to drop from there.
- Automatically register public urls for files uploaded to the Internet Archive.
- To enable an existing special remote, the new enableremote command must be used. The initremote command now is used only to create new special remotes.
- initremote: If two existing remotes have the same name, prefer the one with a higher trust level.
- assistant: Improved XMPP protocol to better support multiple repositories using the same XMPP account. Fixes bad behavior when sharing with a friend when you or the friend have multiple reposotories on an XMPP account. Note that XMPP pairing with your own devices still pairs with all repositories using your XMPP account.
- assistant: Fix bug that could cause incoming pushes to not get merged into the local tree. Particularly affected XMPP pushes.
- webapp: Display some additional information about a repository on its edit page.
- webapp: Install FDO desktop menu file when started in standalone mode.
- webapp: Don't default to making repository in cwd when started from within a directory containing a git-annex file (eg, standalone tarball directory).
- Detect systems that have no user name set in GECOS, and also don't have user.name set in git config, and put in a workaround so that commits to the git-annex branch (and the assistant) will still succeed despite git not liking the system configuration.
- webapp: When told to add a git repository on a remote server, and the repository already exists as a non-bare repository, use it, rather than initializing a bare repository in the same directory.
- direct, indirect: Refuse to do anything when the assistant or git-annex watch daemon is running.
- assistant: When built with git before 1.8.0, use
git remote rmto delete a remote. Newer git uses
git remote remove.
- rmurl: New command, removes one of the recorded urls for a file.
- Detect when the remote is broken like bitbucket is, and exits 0 when it fails to run git-annex-shell.
- assistant: Several improvements to performance and behavior when performing bulk adds of a large number of files (tens to hundreds of thousands).
- assistant: Sanitize XMPP presence information logged for debugging.
- webapp: Now automatically fills in any creds used by an existing remote when creating a new remote of the same type. Done for Internet Archive, S3, Glacier, and Box.com remotes.
- Store an annex-uuid file in the bucket when setting up a new S3 remote.
- Support building with DAV 0.4.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Wed, 01 May 2013 01:42:46 -0400
git-annex (4.20130417) unstable; urgency=low
- initremote: Generates encryption keys with high quality entropy. This can be disabled using --fast to get the old behavior. The assistant still uses low-quality entropy when creating encrypted remotes, to avoid delays. (Thanks, guilhem for the patch.)
- Bugfix: Direct mode no longer repeatedly checksums duplicated files.
- assistant: Work around horrible, terrible, very bad behavior of gnome-keyring, by not storing special-purpose ssh keys in ~/.ssh/*.pub. Apparently gnome-keyring apparently will load and indiscriminately use such keys in some cases, even if they are not using any of the standard ssh key names. Instead store the keys in ~/.ssh/annex/, which gnome-keyring will not check.
- addurl: Bugfix: Did not properly add file in direct mode.
- assistant: Bug fix to avoid annexing the files that git uses to stand in for symlinks on FAT and other filesystem not supporting symlinks.
- Adjust preferred content expressions so that content in archive directories is preferred until it has reached an archive or smallarchive repository.
- webapp: New --listen= option allows running the webapp on one computer and connecting to it from another. (Note: Does not yet use HTTPS.)
- Added annex.web-download-command setting.
- Added per-remote annex-rsync-transport option. (guilhem again)
- Ssh connection caching is now also used by rsync special remotes. (guilhem yet again)
- The version number is now derived from git, unless built with VERSION_FROM_CHANGELOG.
- assistant: Stop any transfers the assistant initiated on shutdown.
- assistant: Added sequence numbers to XMPP git push packets. (Not yet used.)
- addurl: Register transfer so the webapp can see it.
- addurl: Automatically retry downloads that fail, as long as some additional content was downloaded.
- webapp: Much improved progress bar display for downloads from encrypted remotes.
- Avoid using runghc, as that needs ghci.
- webapp: When a repository's group is changed, rescan for transfers.
- webapp: Added animations.
- webapp: Include the repository directory in the mangled hostname and ssh key name, so that a locked down ssh key for one repository is not re-used when setting up additional repositories on the same server.
- Fall back to internal url downloader when built without curl.
- fsck: Check content of direct mode files (only when the inode cache thinks they are unmodified).
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:07:38 -0400
git-annex (4.20130405) unstable; urgency=low
- Group subcommands into sections in usage. Closes: #703797
- Per-command usage messages.
- webapp: Fix a race that sometimes caused alerts or other notifications to be missed if they occurred while a page was loading.
- webapp: Progess bar fixes for many types of special remotes.
- Build debian package without using cabal, which writes to HOME. Closes: #704205
- webapp: Run ssh server probes in a way that will work when the login shell is a monstrosity that should have died 25 years ago, such as csh.
- New annex.largefiles setting, which configures which files
git annex addand the assistant add to the annex.
- assistant: Check small files into git directly.
- Remotes can be configured to use other MAC algorithms than HMACSHA1 to encrypt filenames. Thanks, guilhem for the patch.
- git-annex-shell: Passes rsync --bwlimit options on rsync. Thanks, guilhem for the patch.
- webapp: Added UI to delete repositories. Closes: #689847
- Adjust built-in preferred content expressions to make most types of repositories want content that is only located on untrusted, dead, and unwanted repositories.
- drop --auto: Fix bug that prevented dropping files from untrusted repositories.
- assistant: Fix bug that could cause direct mode files to be unstaged from git.
- Update working tree files fully atomically.
- webapp: Improved transfer queue management.
- init: Probe whether the filesystem supports fifos, and if not, disable ssh connection caching.
- Use lower case hash directories for storing files on crippled filesystems, same as is already done for bare repositories.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:42:18 -0400
git-annex (4.20130323) unstable; urgency=low
- webapp: Repository list is now included in the dashboard, and other UI tweaks.
- webapp: Improved UI for pairing your own devices together using XMPP.
- webapp: Display an alert when there are XMPP remotes, and a cloud transfer repository needs to be configured.
- Add incrementalbackup repository group.
- webapp: Encourage user to install git-annex on a server when adding a ssh server, rather than just funneling them through to rsync.
- xmpp: --debug now enables a sanitized dump of the XMPP protocol
- xmpp: Try harder to detect presence of clients when there's a git push to send.
- xmpp: Re-enable XA flag, since disabling it did not turn out to help with the problems Google Talk has with not always sending presence messages to clients.
- map: Combine duplicate repositories, for a nicer looking map.
- Fix several bugs caused by a bad Ord instance for Remote.
- webapp: Switch all forms to POST.
- assistant: Avoid syncing with annex-ignored remotes when reconnecting to the network, or connecting a drive.
- assistant: Fix OSX bug that prevented committing changed files to a repository when in indirect mode.
- webapp: Improved alerts displayed when syncing with remotes, and when syncing with a remote fails.
- webapp: Force wrap long filenames in transfer display.
- assistant: The ConfigMonitor left one zombie behind each time it checked for changes, now fixed.
- get, copy, move: Display an error message when an identical transfer is already in progress, rather than failing with no indication why.
- assistant: Several optimisations to file transfers.
- OSX app and standalone Linux tarball now both support being added to PATH; no need to use runshell to start git-annex.
- webapp: When adding a removable drive, you can now specify the directory inside it to use.
- webapp: Confirm whether user wants to combine repositories when adding a removable drive that already has a repository on it.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Fri, 22 Mar 2013 18:54:05 -0400
git-annex (4.20130314) unstable; urgency=low
Bugfix: git annex add, when ran without any file or directory specified, should add files in the current directory, but not act on unlocked files elsewhere in the tree.
Bugfix: drop --from an unavailable remote no longer updates the location log, incorrectly, to say the remote does not have the key.
Bugfix: If the UUID of a remote is not known, prevent --from, --to, and other ways of specifying remotes by name from selecting it, since it is not possible to sanely use it.
Bugfix: Fix bug in inode cache sentinal check, which broke copying to local repos if the repo being copied from had moved to a different filesystem or otherwise changed all its inodes
Switch from using regex-compat to regex-tdfa, as the C regex library is rather buggy.
status: Can now be run with a directory path to show only the status of that directory, rather than the whole annex.
Added remote.<name>.annex-gnupg-options setting. Thanks, guilhem for the patch.
addurl: Add --relaxed option.
addurl: Escape invalid characters in urls, rather than failing to use an invalid url.
addurl: Properly handle url-escaped characters in file:// urls.
assistant: Fix dropping content when a file is moved to an archive directory, and getting contennt when a file is moved back out.
assistant: Fix bug in direct mode that could occur when a symlink is moved out of an archive directory, and resulted in the file not being set to direct mode when it was transferred.
assistant: Generate better commits for renames.
assistant: Logs are rotated to avoid them using too much disk space.
assistant: Avoid noise in logs from git commit about typechanged files in direct mode repositories.
assistant: Set gc.auto=0 when creating repositories to prevent automatic commits from causing git-gc runs.
assistant: If gc.auto=0, run git-gc once a day, packing loose objects very non-aggressively.
assistant: XMPP git pull and push requests are cached and sent when presence of a new client is detected.
assistant: Sync with all git remotes on startup.
assistant: Get back in sync with XMPP remotes after network reconnection, and on startup.
assistant: Fix syncing after XMPP pairing.
assistant: Optimised handling of renamed files in direct mode, avoiding re-checksumming.
assistant: Detects most renames, including directory renames, and combines all their changes into a single commit.
assistant: Fix ~/.ssh/git-annex-shell wrapper to work when the ssh key does not force a command.
assistant: Be smarter about avoiding unncessary transfers.
webapp: Work around bug in Warp's slowloris attack prevention code, that caused regular browsers to stall when they reuse a connection after leaving it idle for 30 seconds. (See https://github.com/yesodweb/wai/issues/146)
webapp: New preferences page allows enabling/disabling debug logging at runtime, as well as configuring numcopies and diskreserve.
webapp: Repository costs can be configured by dragging repositories around in the repository list.
webapp: Proceed automatically on from "Configure jabber account" to pairing.
webapp: Only show up to 10 queued transfers.
webapp: DTRT when told to create a git repo that already exists.
webapp: Set locally paired repositories to a lower cost than other network remotes.
Run ssh with -T to avoid tty allocation and any login scripts that may do undesired things with it.
Several improvements to Makefile and cabal file. Thanks, Peter Simmons
Stop depending on testpack.
Android: Enable test suite.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Thu, 14 Mar 2013 15:29:20 -0400
git-annex (4.20130227) unstable; urgency=low
- annex.version is now set to 4 for direct mode repositories.
- Should now fully support git repositories with core.symlinks=false; always using git's pseudosymlink files in such repositories.
- webapp: Allow creating repositories on filesystems that lack support for symlinks.
- webapp: Can now add a new local repository, and make it sync with the main local repository.
- Android: Bundle now includes openssh.
- Android: Support ssh connection caching.
- Android: Assistant is fully working. (But no webapp yet.)
- Direct mode: Support filesystems like FAT which can change their inodes each time they are mounted.
- Direct mode: Fix support for adding a modified file.
- Avoid passing -p to rsync, to interoperate with crippled filesystems. Closes: #700282
- Additional GIT_DIR support bugfixes. May actually work now.
- webapp: Display any error message from git init if it fails to create a repository.
- Fix a reversion in matching globs introduced in the last release, where "*" did not match files inside subdirectories. No longer uses the Glob library.
- copy: Update location log when no copy was performed, if the location log was out of date.
- Makefile now builds using cabal, taking advantage of cabal's automatic detection of appropriate build flags.
- test: The test suite is now built into the git-annex binary, and can be run at any time.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Wed, 27 Feb 2013 14:07:24 -0400
git-annex (3.20130216) unstable; urgency=low
- Now uses the Haskell uuid library, rather than needing a uuid program.
- Now uses the Haskell Glob library, rather than pcre-light, avoiding the need to install libpcre. Currently done only for Cabal or when the Makefile is made to use -DWITH_GLOB
- Android port now available (command-line only).
- New annex.crippledfilesystem setting, allows use of git-annex repositories on FAT and even worse filesystems; avoiding use of hard links and locked down permissions settings. (Support is incomplete.)
- init: Detect when the repository is on a filesystem that does not support hard links, or symlinks, or unix permissions, and set annex.crippledfilesystem, as well as annex.direct.
- add: Improved detection of files that are modified while being added.
- Fix a bug in direct mode, introduced in the previous release, where if a file was dropped and then got back, it would be stored in indirect mode.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:03:26 -0400
git-annex (3.20130207) unstable; urgency=low
- webapp: Now allows restarting any threads that crash.
- Adjust debian package to only build-depend on DAV on architectures where it is available.
- addurl --fast: Use curl, rather than haskell HTTP library, to support https.
- annex.autocommit: New setting, can be used to disable autocommit of changed files by the assistant, while it still does data syncing and other tasks.
- assistant: Ignore .DS_Store on OSX.
- assistant: Fix location log when adding new file in direct mode.
- Deal with stale mappings for deleted file in direct mode.
- pre-commit: Update direct mode mappings.
- uninit, unannex --fast: If hard link creation fails, fall back to slow mode.
- Clean up direct mode cache and mapping info when dropping keys.
- dropunused: Clean up stale direct mode cache and mapping info not removed before.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Thu, 07 Feb 2013 12:45:25 -0400
git-annex (3.20130124) unstable; urgency=low
- Added source repository group, that only retains files until they've been transferred to another repository. Useful for things like repositories on cameras.
- Added manual repository group. Use to prevent the assistant from
downloading any file contents to keep things in sync. Instead
git annex get,
git annex dropetc can be used manually as desired.
- webapp: More adjustments to longpoll code to deal with changes in variable quoting in different versions of shakespeare-js.
- webapp: Avoid an error if a transfer is stopped just as it finishes. Closes: #698184
- webapp: Now always logs to .git/annex/daemon.log
- webapp: Has a page to view the log, accessed from the control menu.
- webapp: Fix crash adding removable drive that has an annex directory in it that is not a git repository.
- Deal with incompatability in gpg2, which caused prompts for encryption passphrases rather than using the supplied --passphrase-fd.
- bugfix: Union merges involving two or more repositories could sometimes result in data from one repository getting lost. This could result in the location log data becoming wrong, and fsck being needed to fix it.
- sync: Automatic merge conflict resolution now stages deleted files.
- Depend on git 220.127.116.11 for --no-edit. Closes: #698399
- Fix direct mode mapping code to always store direct mode filenames relative to the top of the repository, even when operating inside a subdirectory.
- fsck: Detect and fix consistency errors in direct mode mapping files.
- Avoid filename encoding errors when writing direct mode mappings.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 22 Jan 2013 07:11:59 +1100
git-annex (3.20130114) unstable; urgency=low
- Now handles the case where a file that's being transferred to a remote is modified in place, which direct mode allows. When this happens, the transfer now fails, rather than allow possibly corrupt data into the remote.
- fsck: Better checking of file content in direct mode.
- drop: Suggest using git annex move when numcopies prevents dropping a file.
- webapp: Repo switcher filters out repos that do not exist any more (or are on a drive that's not mounted).
- webapp: Use IP address, rather than localhost, since some systems may have configuration problems or other issues that prevent web browsers from connecting to the right localhost IP for the webapp.
- webapp: Adjust longpoll code to work with recent versions of shakespeare-js.
- assistant: Support new gvfs dbus names used in Gnome 3.6.
- In direct mode, files with the same key are no longer hardlinked, as that would cause a surprising behavior if modifying one, where the other would also change.
- webapp: Avoid illegal characters in hostname when creating S3 or Glacier remote.
- assistant: Avoid committer crashing if a file is deleted at the wrong instant.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:25:18 -0400
git-annex (3.20130107) unstable; urgency=low
- webapp: Add UI to stop and restart assistant.
- committer: Fix a file handle leak.
- assistant: Make expensive transfer scan work fully in direct mode.
- More commands work in direct mode repositories: find, whereis, move, copy, drop, log, fsck, add, addurl.
- sync: No longer automatically adds files in direct mode.
- assistant: Detect when system is not configured with a user name, and set environment to prevent git from failing.
- direct: Avoid hardlinking symlinks that point to the same content when the content is not present.
- Fix transferring files to special remotes in direct mode.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Mon, 07 Jan 2013 01:01:41 -0400
git-annex (3.20130102) unstable; urgency=low
- direct, indirect: New commands, that switch a repository to and from direct mode. In direct mode, files are accessed directly, rather than via symlinks. Note that direct mode is currently experimental. Many git-annex commands do not work in direct mode. Some git commands can cause data loss when used in direct mode repositories.
- assistant: Now uses direct mode by default when setting up a new local repository.
- OSX assistant: Uses the FSEvents API to detect file changes. This avoids issues with running out of file descriptors on large trees, as well as allowing detection of modification of files in direct mode. Other BSD systems still use kqueue.
- kqueue: Fix bug that made broken symlinks not be noticed.
- vicfg: Quote filename. Closes: #696193
- Bugfix: Fixed bug parsing transfer info files, where the newline after the filename was included in it. This was generally benign, but in the assistant, it caused unexpected dropping of preferred content.
- Bugfix: Remove leading \ from checksums output by sha*sum commands, when the filename contains \ or a newline. Closes: #696384
- fsck: Still accept checksums with a leading \ as valid, now that above bug is fixed.
- SHA*E backends: Exclude non-alphanumeric characters from extensions.
- migrate: Remove leading \ in SHA* checksums, and non-alphanumerics from extensions of SHA*E keys.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Wed, 02 Jan 2013 13:21:34 -0400
git-annex (3.20121211) unstable; urgency=low
- webapp: Defaults to sharing box.com account info with friends, allowing one-click enabling of the repository.
- Fix broken .config/git-annex/program installed by standalone tarball.
- assistant: Retrival from glacier now handled.
- Include ssh in standalone tarball and OSX app.
- watch: Avoid leaving hard links to files behind in .git/annex/tmp if a file is deleted or moved while it's being quarantined in preparation to being added to the annex.
git annex drop --from web; of course this does not remove any file from the web, but it does make git-annex remove all urls associated with a file.
- webapp: S3 and Glacier forms now have a select list of all currently-supported AWS regions.
- webdav: Avoid trying to set props, avoiding incompatability with livedrive.com. Needs DAV version 0.3.
- webapp: Prettify error display.
- webapp: Fix bad interaction between required fields and modals.
- webapp: Added help buttons and links next to fields that require explanations.
- webapp: Encryption can be disabled when setting up remotes.
- assistant: Avoid trying to drop content from remotes that don't have it.
- assistant: Allow periods in ssh key comments.
- get/copy --auto: Transfer data even if it would exceed numcopies, when preferred content settings want it.
- drop --auto: Fix dropping content when there are no preferred content settings.
- webapp: Allow user to specify the port when setting up a ssh or rsync remote.
- assistant: Fix syncing to just created ssh remotes.
- Enable WebDAV support in Debian package. Closes: #695532
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:25:03 -0400
git-annex (3.20121127) unstable; urgency=low
- Fix dirContentsRecursive, which had missed some files in deeply nested subdirectories. Could affect various parts of git-annex.
- rsync: Fix bug introduced in last release that broke encrypted rsync special remotes.
- The standalone builds now unset their special path and library path variables before running the system web browser.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:07:32 -0400
git-annex (3.20121126) unstable; urgency=low
- New webdav and Amazon glacier special remotes.
- Display a warning when a non-existing file or directory is specified.
- webapp: Added configurator for Box.com.
- webapp: Show error messages to user when testing XMPP creds.
- Fix build of assistant without yesod.
- webapp: The list of repositiories refreshes when new repositories are added, including when new repository configurations are pushed in from remotes.
- OSX: Fix RunAtLoad value in plist file.
- Getting a file from chunked directory special remotes no longer buffers it all in memory.
- S3: Added progress display for uploading and downloading.
- directory special remote: Made more efficient and robust.
- Bugfix: directory special remote could loop forever storing a key when a too small chunksize was configured.
- Allow controlling whether login credentials for S3 and webdav are committed to the repository, by setting embedcreds=yes|no when running initremote.
- Added smallarchive repository group, that only archives files that are in archive directories. Used by default for glacier when set up in the webapp.
- assistant: Fixed handling of toplevel archive directory and client repository group.
- assistant: Apply preferred content settings when a new symlink is created, or a symlink gets renamed. Made archive directories work.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:37:49 -0400
git-annex (3.20121112) unstable; urgency=low
- assistant: Can use XMPP to notify other nodes about pushes made to other repositories, as well as pushing to them directly over XMPP.
- wepapp: Added an XMPP configuration interface.
- webapp: Supports pairing over XMPP, with both friends, and other repos using the same account.
- assistant: Drops non-preferred content when possible.
- assistant: Notices, and applies config changes as they are made to the git-annex branch, including config changes pushed in from remotes.
- git-annex-shell: GIT_ANNEX_SHELL_DIRECTORY can be set to limit it to operating on a specified directory.
- webapp: When setting up authorized_keys, use GIT_ANNEX_SHELL_DIRECTORY.
- Preferred content path matching bugfix.
- Preferred content expressions cannot use "in=".
- Preferred content expressions can use "present".
- Fix handling of GIT_DIR when it refers to a git submodule.
- Depend on and use the Haskell SafeSemaphore library, which provides exception-safe versions of SampleVar and QSemN. Thanks, Ben Gamari for an excellent patch set.
- file:/// URLs can now be used with the web special remote.
- webapp: Allow dashes in ssh key comments when pairing.
- uninit: Check and abort if there are symlinks to annexed content that are not checked into git.
- webapp: Switched to using the same multicast IP address that avahi uses.
- bup: Don't pass - to bup-split to make it read stdin; bup 0.25 does not accept that.
- bugfix: Don't fail transferring content from read-only repos. Closes: #691341
- configure: Check that checksum programs produce correct checksums.
- Re-enable dbus, using a new version of the library that fixes the memory leak.
- NetWatcher: When dbus connection is lost, try to reconnect.
- Use USER and HOME environment when set, and only fall back to getpwent, which doesn't work with LDAP or NIS.
- rsync special remote: Include annex-rsync-options when running rsync to test a key's presence.
- The standalone tarball's runshell now takes care of installing a ~/.ssh/git-annex-shell wrapper the first time it's run.
- webapp: Make an initial, empty commit so there is a master branch
- assistant: Fix syncing local drives.
- webapp: Fix creation of rsync.net repositories.
- webapp: Fix renaming of special remotes.
- webapp: Generate better git remote names.
- webapp: Ensure that rsync special remotes are enabled using the same name they were originally created using.
- Bugfix: Fix hang in webapp when setting up a ssh remote with an absolute path.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:39:47 -0400
git-annex (3.20121017) unstable; urgency=low
- Fix zombie cleanup reversion introduced in 3.20121009.
- Additional fix to support git submodules.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:10:14 -0400
git-annex (3.20121016) unstable; urgency=low
- vicfg: New file format, avoids ambiguity with repos that have the same description, or no description.
- Bug fix: A recent change caused git-annex-shell to crash.
- Better preferred content expression for transfer repos.
- webapp: Repository edit form can now edit the name of a repository.
- webapp: Make bare repositories on removable drives, as there is nothing to ensure non-bare repos get updated when syncing.
- webapp: Better behavior when pausing syncing to a remote when a transfer scan is running and queueing new transfers for that remote.
- The standalone binaries are now built to not use ssh connection caching, in order to work with old versions of ssh.
- A relative core.worktree is relative to the gitdir. Now that this is handled correctly, git-annex can be used in git submodules.
- Temporarily disable use of dbus, as the haskell dbus library blows up when losing connection, which will need to be fixed upstream.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:25:22 -0400
git-annex (3.20121010) unstable; urgency=low
- Renamed --ingroup to --inallgroup.
- Standard groups changed to client, transfer, archive, and backup. Each of these has its own standard preferred content setting.
- dead: Remove dead repository from all groups.
- Avoid unsetting HOME when running certian git commands. Closes: #690193
- test: Fix threaded runtime hang.
- Makefile: Avoid building with -threaded if the ghc threaded runtime does not exist.
- webapp: Improve wording of intro display. Closes: #689848
- webapp: Repositories can now be configured, to change their description, their group, or even to disable syncing to them.
- git config remote.name.annex-sync can be used to control whether a remote gets synced.
- Fix a crash when merging files in the git-annex branch that contain invalid utf8.
- Automatically detect when a ssh remote does not have git-annex-shell installed, and set annex-ignore.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:45:21 -0400
git-annex (3.20121009) unstable; urgency=low
- watch, assistant: It's now safe to git annex unlock files while the watcher is running, as well as modify files checked into git as normal files. Additionally, .gitignore settings are now honored. Closes: #689979
- group, ungroup: New commands to indicate groups of repositories.
- webapp: Adds newly created repositories to one of these groups: clients, drives, servers
- vicfg: New command, allows editing (or simply viewing) most of the repository configuration settings stored in the git-annex branch.
- Added preferred content expressions, configurable using vicfg.
- get --auto: If the local repository has preferred content configured, only get that content.
- drop --auto: If the repository the content is dropped from has preferred content configured, drop only content that is not preferred.
- copy --auto: Only transfer content that the destination repository prefers.
- assistant: Now honors preferred content settings when deciding what to transfer.
- --copies=group:number can now be used to match files that are present in a specified number of repositories in a group.
- Added --smallerthan, --largerthan, and --inall limits.
- Only build-depend on libghc-clientsession-dev on arches that will have the webapp.
- uninit: Unset annex.version. Closes: #689852
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Tue, 09 Oct 2012 15:13:23 -0400
git-annex (3.20121001) unstable; urgency=low
- fsck: Now has an incremental mode. Start a new incremental fsck pass with git annex fsck --incremental. Now the fsck can be interrupted as desired, and resumed with git annex fsck --more. Thanks, Justin Azoff
- New --time-limit option, makes long git-annex commands stop after a specified amount of time.
- fsck: New --incremental-schedule option which is nice for scheduling eg, monthly incremental fsck runs in cron jobs.
- Fix fallback to ~/Desktop when xdg-user-dir is not available. Closes: #688833
- S3: When using a shared cipher, S3 credentials are not stored encrypted in the git repository, as that would allow anyone with access to the repository access to the S3 account. Instead, they're stored in a 600 mode file in the local git repo.
- webapp: Avoid crashing when ssh-keygen -F chokes on an invalid known_hosts file.
- Always do a system wide installation when DESTDIR is set. Closes: #689052
- The Makefile now builds with the new yesod by default. Systems like Debian that have the old yesod 1.0.1 should set GIT_ANNEX_LOCAL_FEATURES=-DWITH_OLD_YESOD
- copy: Avoid updating the location log when no copy is performed.
- configure: Test that uuid -m works, falling back to plain uuid if not.
- Avoid building the webapp on Debian architectures that do not yet have template haskell and thus yesod. (Should be available for arm soonish I hope).
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Mon, 01 Oct 2012 13:56:55 -0400
git-annex (3.20120924) unstable; urgency=low
- assistant: New command, a daemon which does everything watch does, as well as automatically syncing file contents between repositories.
- webapp: An interface for managing and configuring the assistant.
- The default backend used when adding files to the annex is changed from SHA256 to SHA256E, to simplify interoperability with OSX, media players, and various programs that needlessly look at symlink targets. To get old behavior, add a .gitattributes containing: * annex.backend=SHA256
- init: If no description is provided for a new repository, one will automatically be generated, like "joey@gnu:~/foo"
- test: Set a lot of git environment variables so testing works in strange environments that normally need git config to set names, etc. Closes: #682351 Thanks, gregor herrmann
- Disable ssh connection caching if the path to the control socket would be too long (and use relative path to minimise path to the control socket).
- migrate: Check content before generating the new key, to avoid generating a key for corrupt data.
- Support repositories created with --separate-git-dir. Closes: #684405
- reinject: When the provided file doesn't match, leave it where it is, rather than moving to .git/annex/bad/
- Avoid crashing on encoding errors in filenames when writing transfer info files and reading from checksum commands.
- sync: Pushes the git-annex branch to remote/synced/git-annex, rather than directly to remote/git-annex.
- Now supports matching files that are present on a number of remotes with a specified trust level. Example: --copies=trusted:2 Thanks, Nicolas Pouillard
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Mon, 24 Sep 2012 13:47:48 -0400
git-annex (3.20120825) unstable; urgency=low
- S3: Add fileprefix setting.
- Pass --use-agent to gpg when in no tty mode. Thanks, Eskild Hustvedt.
- Bugfix: Fix fsck in SHA*E backends, when the key contains composite extensions, as added in 3.20120721.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Sat, 25 Aug 2012 10:00:10 -0400
git-annex (3.20120807) unstable; urgency=low
- initremote: Avoid recording remote's description before checking that its config is valid.
- unused, status: Avoid crashing when ran in bare repo.
- Avoid crashing when "git annex get" fails to download from one location, and falls back to downloading from a second location.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Tue, 07 Aug 2012 13:35:07 -0400
git-annex (3.20120721) unstable; urgency=low
- get, move, copy: Now refuse to do anything when the requested file transfer is already in progress by another process.
- status: Lists transfers that are currently in progress.
- Fix passing --uuid to git-annex-shell.
- When shaNsum commands cannot be found, use the Haskell SHA library (already a dependency) to do the checksumming. This may be slower, but avoids portability problems.
- Use SHA library for files less than 50 kb in size, at which point it's faster than forking the more optimised external program.
- SHAnE backends are now smarter about composite extensions, such as .tar.gz Closes: #680450
- map: Write map.dot to .git/annex, which avoids watch trying to annex it.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Sat, 21 Jul 2012 16:52:48 -0400
git-annex (3.20120629) unstable; urgency=low
- cabal: Only try to use inotify on Linux.
- Version build dependency on STM, and allow building without it, which disables the watch command.
- Avoid ugly failure mode when moving content from a local repository that is not available.
- Got rid of the last place that did utf8 decoding.
- Accept arbitrarily encoded repository filepaths etc when reading git config output. This fixes support for remotes with unusual characters in their names.
- sync: Automatically resolves merge conflicts.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Fri, 29 Jun 2012 10:17:49 -0400
git-annex (3.20120624) unstable; urgency=low
- watch: New subcommand, a daemon which notices changes to files and automatically annexes new files, etc, so you don't need to manually run git commands when manipulating files. Available on Linux, BSDs, and OSX!
- Enable diskfree on kfreebsd, using kqueue.
- unused: Fix crash when key names contain invalid utf8.
- sync: Avoid recent git's interactive merge.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Sun, 24 Jun 2012 12:36:50 -0400
git-annex (3.20120614) unstable; urgency=medium
- addurl: Was broken by a typo introduced 2 released ago, now fixed. Closes: #677576
- Install man page when run by cabal, in a location where man will find it, even when installing under $HOME. Thanks, Nathan Collins
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Thu, 14 Jun 2012 20:21:29 -0400
git-annex (3.20120611) unstable; urgency=medium
- add: Prevent (most) modifications from being made to a file while it is being added to the annex.
- initremote: Automatically describe a remote when creating it.
- uninit: Refuse to run in a subdirectory. Closes: #677076
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Mon, 11 Jun 2012 10:32:01 -0400
git-annex (3.20120605) unstable; urgency=low
- sync: Show a nicer message if a user tries to sync to a special remote.
- lock: Reset unlocked file to index, rather than to branch head.
- import: New subcommand, pulls files from a directory outside the annex and adds them.
- Fix display of warning message when encountering a file that uses an unsupported backend.
- Require that the SHA256 backend can be used when building, since it's the default.
- Preserve parent environment when running hooks of the hook special remote.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Tue, 05 Jun 2012 14:03:39 -0400
git-annex (3.20120522) unstable; urgency=low
- Pass -a to cp even when it supports --reflink=auto, to preserve permissions.
- Clean up handling of git directory and git worktree.
- Add support for core.worktree, and fix support for GIT_WORK_TREE and GIT_DIR.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 22 May 2012 11:16:13 -0400
git-annex (3.20120511) unstable; urgency=low
- Rsync special remotes can be configured with shellescape=no to avoid shell quoting that is normally done when using rsync over ssh. This is known to be needed for certian rsync hosting providers (specificially hidrive.strato.com) that use rsync over ssh but do not pass it through the shell.
- dropunused: Allow specifying ranges to drop.
- addunused: New command, the opposite of dropunused, it relinks unused content into the git repository.
- Fix use of several config settings: annex.ssh-options, annex.rsync-options, annex.bup-split-options. (And adjust types to avoid the bugs that broke several config settings.)
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Fri, 11 May 2012 12:29:30 -0400
git-annex (3.20120430) unstable; urgency=low
- Fix use of annex.diskreserve config setting.
- Directory special remotes now check annex.diskreserve.
- Support git's core.sharedRepository configuration.
- Add annex.http-headers and annex.http-headers-command config settings, to allow custom headers to be sent with all HTTP requests. (Requested by the Internet Archive)
- uninit: Clear annex.uuid from .git/config. Closes: #670639
- Added shared cipher mode to encryptable special remotes. This option avoids gpg key distribution, at the expense of flexability, and with the requirement that all clones of the git repository be equally trusted.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:16:10 -0400
git-annex (3.20120418) unstable; urgency=low
- bugfix: Adding a dotfile also caused all non-dotfiles to be added.
- bup: Properly handle key names with spaces or other things that are not legal git refs.
- git-annex (but not git-annex-shell) supports the git help.autocorrect configuration setting, doing fuzzy matching using the restricted Damerau-Levenshtein edit distance, just as git does. This adds a build dependency on the haskell edit-distance library.
- Renamed diskfree.c to avoid OSX case insensativity bug.
- cabal now installs git-annex-shell as a symlink to git-annex.
- cabal file now autodetects whether S3 support is available.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:11:32 -0400
git-annex (3.20120406) unstable; urgency=low
- Disable diskfree on kfreebsd, as I have a build failure on kfreebsd-i386 that is quite likely caused by it.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Sat, 07 Apr 2012 15:50:36 -0400
git-annex (3.20120405) unstable; urgency=low
- Rewrote free disk space checking code, moving the portability handling into a small C library.
- status: Display amount of free disk space.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Thu, 05 Apr 2012 16:19:10 -0400
git-annex (3.20120315) unstable; urgency=low
- fsck: Fix up any broken links and misplaced content caused by the directory hash calculation bug fixed in the last release.
- sync: Sync to lower cost remotes first.
- status: Fixed to run in constant space.
- status: More accurate display of sizes of tmp and bad keys.
- unused: Now uses a bloom filter, and runs in constant space. Use of a bloom filter does mean it will not notice a small number of unused keys. For repos with up to half a million keys, it will miss one key in 1000.
- Added annex.bloomcapacity and annex.bloomaccuracy, which can be adjusted as desired to tune the bloom filter.
- status: Display amount of memory used by bloom filter, and detect when it's too small for the number of keys in a repository.
- git-annex-shell: Runs hooks/annex-content after content is received or dropped.
- Work around a bug in rsync (IMHO) introduced by openSUSE's SIP patch.
- git-annex now behaves as git-annex-shell if symlinked to and run by that name. The Makefile sets this up, saving some 8 mb of installed size.
- git-union-merge is a demo program, so it is no longer built by default.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:05:28 -0400
git-annex (3.20120309) unstable; urgency=low
- Fix key directory hash calculation code to behave as it did before version 3.20120227 when a key contains non-ascii characters (only WORM backend is likely to have been affected).
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Fri, 09 Mar 2012 20:05:09 -0400
git-annex (3.20120230) unstable; urgency=low
- "here" can be used to refer to the current repository, which can read better than the old "." (which still works too).
- Directory special remotes now support chunking files written to them, avoiding writing files larger than a specified size.
- Add progress bar display to the directory special remote.
- Add configurable hooks that are run when git-annex starts and stops using a remote: remote.name.annex-start-command and remote.name.annex-stop-command
- Fix a bug in symlink calculation code, that triggered in rare cases where an annexed file is in a subdirectory that nearly matched to the .git/annex/object/xx/yy subdirectories.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Mon, 05 Mar 2012 13:38:13 -0400
git-annex (3.20120229) unstable; urgency=low
- Fix test suite to not require a unicode locale.
- Fix cabal build failure. Thanks, Sergei Trofimovich
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Wed, 29 Feb 2012 02:31:31 -0400
git-annex (3.20120227) unstable; urgency=low
- Modifications to support ghc 7.4's handling of filenames. This version can only be built with ghc 7.4 or newer. See the ghc7.0 branch for older ghcs.
- S3: Fix irrefutable pattern failure when accessing encrypted S3 credentials.
- Use the haskell IfElse library.
- Fix teardown of stale cached ssh connections.
- Fixed to use the strict state monad, to avoid leaking all kinds of memory due to lazy state update thunks when adding/fixing many files.
- Fixed some memory leaks that occurred when committing journal files.
- Added a annex.queuesize setting, useful when adding hundreds of thousands of files on a system with plenty of memory.
- whereis: Prints the urls of files that the web special remote knows about.
- addurl --fast: Verifies that the url can be downloaded (only getting its head), and records the size in the key.
- When checking that an url has a key, verify that the Content-Length, if available, matches the size of the key.
- addurl: Added a --file option, which can be used to specify what file the url is added to. This can be used to override the default filename that is used when adding an url, which is based on the url. Or, when the file already exists, the url is recorded as another location of the file.
- addurl: Normalize badly encoded urls.
- addurl: Add --pathdepth option.
- rekey: New plumbing level command, can be used to change the keys used for files en masse.
- Store web special remote url info in a more efficient location. (Urls stored with this version will not be visible to older versions.)
- Deal with NFS problem that caused a failure to remove a directory when removing content from the annex.
- Make a single location log commit after a remote has received or dropped files. Uses a new "git-annex-shell commit" command when available.
- To avoid commits of data to the git-annex branch after each command is run, set annex.alwayscommit=false. Its data will then be committed less frequently, when a merge or sync is done.
- configure: Check if ssh connection caching is supported by the installed version of ssh and default annex.sshcaching accordingly.
- move --from, copy --from: Now 10 times faster when scanning to find files in a remote on a local disk; rather than go through the location log to see which files are present on the remote, it simply looks at the disk contents directly.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Mon, 27 Feb 2012 12:58:21 -0400
git-annex (3.20120123) unstable; urgency=low
- fsck --from: Fscking a remote is now supported. It's done by retrieving the contents of the specified files from the remote, and checking them, so can be an expensive operation. Still, if the remote is a special remote, or a git repository that you cannot run fsck in locally, it's nice to have the ability to fsck it.
- If you have any directory special remotes, now would be a good time to fsck them, in case you were hit by the data loss bug fixed in the previous release!
- fsck --from remote --fast: Avoids expensive file transfers, at the expense of not checking file size and/or contents.
- Ssh connection caching is now enabled automatically by git-annex. Only one ssh connection is made to each host per git-annex run, which can speed some things up a lot, as well as avoiding repeated password prompts. Concurrent git-annex processes also share ssh connections. Cached ssh connections are shut down when git-annex exits.
- To disable the ssh caching (if for example you have your own broader ssh caching configuration), set annex.sshcaching=false.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Mon, 23 Jan 2012 13:48:48 -0400
git-annex (3.20120116) unstable; urgency=medium
- Fix data loss bug in directory special remote, when moving a file to the remote failed, and partially transferred content was left behind in the directory, re-running the same move would think it succeeded and delete the local copy.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:43:45 -0400
git-annex (3.20120115) unstable; urgency=low
- Add a sanity check for bad StatFS results. On architectures where StatFS does not currently work (s390, mips, powerpc, sparc), this disables the diskreserve checking code, and attempting to configure an annex.diskreserve will result in an error.
- Fix QuickCheck dependency in cabal file.
- Minor optimisations.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:54:20 -0400
git-annex (3.20120113) unstable; urgency=low
- log: Add --gource mode, which generates output usable by gource.
- map: Fix display of remote repos
- Add annex-trustlevel configuration settings, which can be used to override the trust level of a remote.
- git-annex, git-union-merge: Support GIT_DIR and GIT_WORK_TREE.
- Add libghc-testpack-dev to build depends on all arches.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:35:17 -0400
git-annex (3.20120106) unstable; urgency=low
- Support unescaped repository urls, like git does.
- log: New command that displays the location log for files, showing each repository they were added to and removed from.
- Fix overbroad gpg --no-tty fix from last release.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Sat, 07 Jan 2012 13:16:23 -0400
git-annex (3.20120105) unstable; urgency=low
- Added annex-web-options configuration settings, which can be used to provide parameters to whichever of wget or curl git-annex uses (depends on which is available, but most of their important options suitable for use here are the same).
- Dotfiles, and files inside dotdirs are not added by "git annex add" unless the dotfile or directory is explicitly listed. So "git annex add ." will add all untracked files in the current directory except for those in dotdirs.
- Added quickcheck to build dependencies, and fail if test suite cannot be built.
- fsck: Do backend-specific check before checking numcopies is satisfied.
- Run gpg with --no-tty. Closes: #654721
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Thu, 05 Jan 2012 13:44:12 -0400
git-annex (3.20111231) unstable; urgency=low
- sync: Improved to work well without a central bare repository. Thanks to Joachim Breitner.
- Rather than manually committing, pushing, pulling, merging, and git annex merging, we encourage you to give "git annex sync" a try.
- sync --fast: Selects some of the remotes with the lowest annex.cost and syncs those, in addition to any specified at the command line.
- Union merge now finds the least expensive way to represent the merge.
- reinject: Add a sanity check for using an annexed file as the source file.
- Properly handle multiline git config values.
- Fix the hook special remote, which bitrotted a while ago.
- map: --fast disables use of dot to display map
- Test suite improvements. Current top-level test coverage: 75%
- Improve deletion of files from rsync special remotes. Closes: #652849
- Add --include, which is the same as --not --exclude.
- Format strings can be specified using the new --format option, to control what is output by git annex find.
- Support git annex find --json
- Fixed behavior when multiple insteadOf configs are provided for the same url base.
- Can now be built with older git versions (before 1.7.7); the resulting binary should only be used with old git.
- Updated to build with monad-control 0.3.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Sat, 31 Dec 2011 14:55:29 -0400
git-annex (3.20111211) unstable; urgency=medium
- Fix bug in last version in getting contents from bare repositories.
- Ensure that git-annex branch changes are merged into git-annex's index, which fixes a bug that could cause changes that were pushed to the git-annex branch to get reverted. As a side effect, it's now safe for users to check out and commit changes directly to the git-annex branch.
- map: Fix a failure to detect a loop when both repositories are local and refer to each other with relative paths.
- Prevent key names from containing newlines.
- add: If interrupted, add can leave files converted to symlinks but not yet added to git. Running the add again will now clean up this situtation.
- Fix caching of decrypted ciphers, which failed when drop had to check multiple different encrypted special remotes.
- unannex: Can be run on files that have been added to the annex, but not yet committed.
- sync: New command that synchronises the local repository and default remote, by running git commit, pull, and push for you.
- Version monad-control dependency in cabal file.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Sun, 11 Dec 2011 21:24:39 -0400
git-annex (3.20111203) unstable; urgency=low
- The VFAT filesystem on recent versions of Linux, when mounted with shortname=mixed, does not get along well with git-annex's mixed case .git/annex/objects hash directories. To avoid this problem, new content is now stored in all-lowercase hash directories. Except for non-bare repositories which would be a pain to transition and cannot be put on FAT. (Old mixed-case hash directories are still tried for backwards compatibility.)
- Flush json output, avoiding a buffering problem that could result in doubled output.
- Avoid needing haskell98 and other fixes for new ghc. Thanks, Mark Wright.
- Bugfix: dropunused did not drop keys with two spaces in their name.
- Support for storing .git/annex on a different device than the rest of the git repository.
- --inbackend can be used to make git-annex only operate on files whose content is stored using a specified key-value backend.
- dead: A command which says that a repository is gone for good and you don't want git-annex to mention it again.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Sat, 03 Dec 2011 21:01:45 -0400
git-annex (3.20111122) unstable; urgency=low
- merge: Improve commit messages to mention what was merged.
- Avoid doing auto-merging in commands that don't need fully current information from the git-annex branch. In particular, git annex add no longer needs to auto-merge.
- init: When run in an already initalized repository, and without a description specified, don't delete the old description.
- Optimised union merging; now only runs git cat-file once, and runs in constant space.
- status: Now displays trusted, untrusted, and semitrusted repositories separately.
- status: Include all special remotes in the list of repositories.
- status: Fix --json mode.
- status: --fast is back
- Fix support for insteadOf url remapping. Closes: #644278
- When not run in a git repository, git-annex can still display a usage message, and "git annex version" even works.
- migrate: Don't fall over a stale temp file.
- Avoid excessive escaping for rsync special remotes that are not accessed over ssh.
- find: Support --print0
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:31:45 -0400
git-annex (3.20111111) unstable; urgency=low
- Handle a case where an annexed file is moved into a gitignored directory, by having fix --force add its change.
- Avoid cyclic drop problems.
- Optimized copy --from and get --from to avoid checking the location log for files that are already present.
- Automatically fix up badly formatted uuid.log entries produced by 3.20111105, whenever the uuid.log is changed (ie, by init or describe).
- map: Support remotes with /~/ and /~user/
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:44:18 -0400
git-annex (3.20111107) unstable; urgency=low
- merge: Use fast-forward merges when possible. Thanks Valentin Haenel for a test case showing how non-fast-forward merges could result in an ongoing pull/merge/push cycle.
- Don't try to read config from repos with annex-ignore set.
- Bugfix: In the past two releases, git-annex init has written the uuid.log in the wrong format, with the UUID and description flipped.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Mon, 07 Nov 2011 12:47:44 -0400
git-annex (3.20111105) unstable; urgency=low
- The default backend used when adding files to the annex is changed from WORM to SHA256. To get old behavior, add a .gitattributes containing: * annex.backend=WORM
- Sped up some operations on remotes that are on the same host.
- copy --to: Fixed leak when copying many files to a remote on the same host.
- uninit: Add guard against being run with the git-annex branch checked out.
- Fail if --from or --to is passed to commands that do not support them.
- drop --from is now supported to remove file content from a remote.
- status: Now always shows the current repository, even when it does not appear in uuid.log.
- fsck: Now works in bare repositories. Checks location log information, and file contents. Does not check that numcopies is satisfied, as .gitattributes information about numcopies is not available in a bare repository.
- unused, dropunused: Now work in bare repositories.
- Removed the setkey command, and added a reinject command with a more useful interface.
- The fromkey command now takes the key as its first parameter. The --key option is no longer used.
- Built without any filename containing .git being excluded. Closes: #647215
- Record uuid when auto-initializing a remote so it shows in status.
- Bugfix: Fixed git-annex init crash in a bare repository when there was already an existing git-annex branch.
- Pass -t to rsync to preserve timestamps.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Sat, 05 Nov 2011 15:47:52 -0400
git-annex (3.20111025) unstable; urgency=low
- A remote can have a annexUrl configured, that is used by git-annex instead of its usual url. (Similar to pushUrl.)
- migrate: Copy url logs for keys when migrating.
- git-annex-shell: GIT_ANNEX_SHELL_READONLY and GIT_ANNEX_SHELL_LIMITED environment variables can be set to limit what commands can be run. This is used by gitolite's new git-annex support!
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:03:08 -0700
git-annex (3.20111011) unstable; urgency=low
- This version of git-annex only works with git 1.7.7 and newer. The breakage with old versions is subtle, and affects the annex.numcopies settings in .gitattributes, so be sure to upgrade git to 1.7.7. (Debian package now depends on that version.)
- Don't pass absolute paths to git show-attr, as it started following symlinks when that's done in 1.7.7. Instead, use relative paths, which show-attr only handles 100% correctly in 1.7.7. Closes: #645046
- Fix referring to remotes by uuid.
- New or changed repository descriptions in uuid.log now have a timestamp, which is used to ensure the newest description is used when the uuid.log has been merged.
- Note that older versions of git-annex will display the timestamp as part of the repository description, which is ugly but otherwise harmless.
- Add timestamps to trust.log and remote.log too.
- git-annex-shell: Added the --uuid option.
- git-annex now asks git-annex-shell to verify that it's operating in the expected repository.
- Note that this git-annex will not interoperate with remotes using older versions of git-annex-shell.
- Now supports git's insteadOf configuration, to modify the url used to access a remote. Note that pushInsteadOf is not used; that and pushurl are reserved for actual git pushes. Closes: #644278
- status: List all known repositories.
- When displaying a list of repositories, show git remote names in addition to their descriptions.
- Add locking to avoid races when changing the git-annex branch.
- Various speed improvements gained by using ByteStrings.
- Contain the zombie hordes.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Tue, 11 Oct 2011 23:00:02 -0400
git-annex (3.20110928) unstable; urgency=low
- --in can be used to make git-annex only operate on files believed to be present in a given repository.
- Arbitrarily complex expressions can be built to limit the files git-annex operates on, by combining the options --not --and --or -( and -) Example: git annex get --exclude '*.mp3' --and --not -( --in usbdrive --or --in archive -)
- --copies=N can be used to make git-annex only operate on files with the specified number of copies. (And --not --copies=N for the inverse.)
- find: Rather than only showing files whose contents are present, when used with --exclude --copies or --in, displays all files that match the specified conditions.
- Note that this is a behavior change for git-annex find! Old behavior can be gotten by using: git-annex find --in .
- status: Massively sped up; remove --fast mode.
- unused: File contents used by branches and tags are no longer considered unused, even when not used by the current branch. This is the final piece of the puzzle needed for git-annex to to play nicely with branches.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:14:02 -0400
git-annex (3.20110915) unstable; urgency=low
- whereis: Show untrusted locations separately and do not include in location count.
- Fix build without S3.
- addurl: Always use whole url as destination filename, rather than only its file component.
- get, drop, copy: Added --auto option, which decides whether to get/drop content as needed to work toward the configured numcopies.
- bugfix: drop and fsck did not honor --exclude
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:25:46 -0400
git-annex (3.20110906) unstable; urgency=low
- Improve display of newlines around error and warning messages.
- Fix Makefile to work with cabal again.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 06 Sep 2011 13:45:16 -0400
git-annex (3.20110902) unstable; urgency=low
- Set EMAIL when running test suite so that git does not need to be configured first. Closes: #638998
- The wget command will now be used in preference to curl, if available.
- init: Make description an optional parameter.
- unused, status: Sped up by avoiding unnecessary stats of annexed files.
- unused --remote: Reduced memory use to 1/4th what was used before.
- Add --json switch, to produce machine-consumable output.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Fri, 02 Sep 2011 21:20:37 -0400
git-annex (3.20110819) unstable; urgency=low
- Now "git annex init" only has to be run once, when a git repository is first being created. Clones will automatically notice that git-annex is in use and automatically perform a basic initalization. It's still recommended to run "git annex init" in any clones, to describe them.
- Added annex-cost-command configuration, which can be used to vary the cost of a remote based on the output of a shell command.
- Fix broken upgrade from V1 repository. Closes: #638584
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:34:09 -0400
git-annex (3.20110817) unstable; urgency=low
- Fix shell escaping in rsync special remote.
- addurl: --fast can be used to avoid immediately downloading the url.
- Added support for getting content from git remotes using http (and https).
- Added curl to Debian package dependencies.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Wed, 17 Aug 2011 01:29:02 -0400
git-annex (3.20110719) unstable; urgency=low
- add: Be even more robust to avoid ever leaving the file seemingly deleted. Closes: #634233
- Bugfix: Make add ../ work.
- Support the standard git -c name=value
- unannex: Clean up use of git commit -a.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 19 Jul 2011 23:39:53 -0400
git-annex (3.20110707) unstable; urgency=low
- Fix sign bug in disk free space checking.
- Bugfix: Forgot to de-escape keys when upgrading. Could result in bad location log data for keys that contain [&:%] in their names. (A workaround for this problem is to run git annex fsck.)
- add: Avoid a failure mode that resulted in the file seemingly being deleted (content put in the annex but no symlink present).
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Thu, 07 Jul 2011 19:29:39 -0400
git-annex (3.20110705) unstable; urgency=low
- uninit: Delete the git-annex branch and .git/annex/
- unannex: In --fast mode, file content is left in the annex, and a hard link made to it.
- uninit: Use unannex in --fast mode, to support unannexing multiple files that link to the same content.
- Drop the dependency on the haskell curl bindings, use regular haskell HTTP.
- Fix a pipeline stall when upgrading (caused by #624389).
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 05 Jul 2011 14:37:39 -0400
git-annex (3.20110702) unstable; urgency=low
- Now the web can be used as a special remote. This feature replaces the old URL backend.
- addurl: New command to download an url and store it in the annex.
- Sped back up fsck, copy --from, and other commands that often have to read a lot of information from the git-annex branch. Such commands are now faster than they were before introduction of the git-annex branch.
- Always ensure git-annex branch exists.
- Modify location log parser to allow future expansion.
- --force will cause add, etc, to operate on ignored files.
- Avoid mangling encoding when storing the description of repository and other content.
- cabal can now be used to build git-annex. This is substantially slower than using make, does not build or install documentation, does not run the test suite, and is not particularly recommended, but could be useful to some.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Sat, 02 Jul 2011 15:00:18 -0400
git-annex (3.20110624) experimental; urgency=low
- New repository format, annex.version=3. Use
git annex upgradeto migrate.
- git-annex now stores its logs in a git-annex branch.
- merge: New subcommand. Auto-merges the new git-annex branch.
- Improved handling of bare git repos with annexes. Many more commands will work in them.
- git-annex is now more robust; it will never leave state files uncommitted when some other git process comes along and locks the index at an inconvenient time.
- rsync is now used when copying files from repos on other filesystems. cp is still used when copying file from repos on the same filesystem, since --reflink=auto can make it significantly faster on filesystems such as btrfs.
- Allow --trust etc to specify a repository by name, for temporarily trusting repositories that are not configured remotes.
- unlock: Made atomic.
- git-union-merge: New git subcommand, that does a generic union merge operation, and operates efficiently without touching the working tree.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:32:18 -0400
git-annex (0.20110610) unstable; urgency=low
- Add --numcopies option.
- Add --trust, --untrust, and --semitrust options.
- get --from is the same as copy --from
- Bugfix: Fix fsck to not think all SHAnE keys are bad.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:48:40 -0400
git-annex (0.20110601) unstable; urgency=low
- Minor bugfixes and error message improvements.
- Massively sped up
git annex lockby avoiding use of the uber-slow
git reset, and only running
git checkoutonce, even when many files are being locked.
- Fix locking of files with staged changes.
- Somewhat sped up
git commitof modifications to unlocked files.
- Build fix for older ghc.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:50:47 -0400
git-annex (0.20110522) unstable; urgency=low
- Closer emulation of git's behavior when told to use "foo/.git" as a git repository instead of just "foo". Closes: #627563
- Fix bug in --exclude introduced in 0.20110516.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Fri, 27 May 2011 20:20:41 -0400
git-annex (0.20110521) unstable; urgency=low
- status: New subcommand to show info about an annex, including its size.
- --backend now overrides any backend configured in .gitattributes files.
- Add --debug option. Closes: #627499
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Sat, 21 May 2011 11:52:53 -0400
git-annex (0.20110516) unstable; urgency=low
- Add a few tweaks to make it easy to use the Internet Archive's variant of S3. In particular, munge key filenames to comply with the IA's filename limits, disable encryption, support their nonstandard way of creating buckets, and allow x-archive-* headers to be specified in initremote to set item metadata.
- Added filename extension preserving variant backends SHA1E, SHA256E, etc.
- migrate: Use current filename when generating new key, for backends where the filename affects the key name.
- Work around a bug in Network.URI's handling of bracketed ipv6 addresses.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Mon, 16 May 2011 14:16:52 -0400
git-annex (0.20110503) unstable; urgency=low
- Fix hasKeyCheap setting for bup and rsync special remotes.
- Add hook special remotes.
- Avoid crashing when an existing key is readded to the annex.
- unused: Now also lists files fsck places in .git/annex/bad/
- S3: When encryption is enabled, the Amazon S3 login credentials are stored, encrypted, in .git-annex/remotes.log, so environment variables need not be set after the remote is initialized.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 03 May 2011 20:56:01 -0400
git-annex (0.20110427) unstable; urgency=low
- Switch back to haskell SHA library, so git-annex remains buildable on Debian stable.
- Added rsync special remotes. This could be used, for example, to store annexed content on rsync.net (encrypted naturally). Or anywhere else.
- Bugfix: Avoid pipeline stall when running git annex drop or fsck on a lot of files. Possibly only occured with ghc 7.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Wed, 27 Apr 2011 22:50:26 -0400
git-annex (0.20110425) unstable; urgency=low
- Use haskell Crypto library instead of haskell SHA library.
- Remove testpack from build depends for non x86 architectures where it is not available. The test suite will not be run if it cannot be compiled.
- Avoid using absolute paths when staging location log, as that can confuse git when a remote's path contains a symlink. Closes: #621386
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Mon, 25 Apr 2011 15:47:00 -0400
git-annex (0.20110420) unstable; urgency=low
- Update Debian build dependencies for ghc 7.
- Debian package is now built with S3 support. Thanks Joachim Breitner for making this possible.
- Somewhat improved memory usage of S3, still work to do. Thanks Greg Heartsfield for ongoing work to improve the hS3 library for git-annex.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Thu, 21 Apr 2011 15:00:48 -0400
git-annex (0.20110419) unstable; urgency=low
- Don't run gpg in batch mode, so it can prompt for passphrase when there is no agent.
- Add missing build dep on dataenc.
- S3: Fix stalls when transferring encrypted data.
- bup: Avoid memory leak when transferring encrypted data.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 19 Apr 2011 21:26:51 -0400
git-annex (0.20110417) unstable; urgency=low
- bup is now supported as a special type of remote.
- The data sent to special remotes (Amazon S3, bup, etc) can be encrypted using GPG for privacy.
- Use lowercase hash directories for locationlog files, to avoid some issues with git on OSX with the mixed-case directories. No migration is needed; the old mixed case hash directories are still read; new information is written to the new directories.
- Unused files on remotes, particulary special remotes, can now be identified and dropped, by using "--from remote" with git annex unused and git annex dropunused.
- Clear up short option confusion between --from and --force (-f is now --from, and there is no short option for --force).
- Add build depend on perlmagick so docs are consistently built. Closes: #621410
- Add doc-base file. Closes: #621408
- Periodically flush git command queue, to avoid boating memory usage too much.
- Support "sha1" and "sha512" commands on FreeBSD, and allow building if any/all SHA commands are not available. Thanks, Fraser Tweedale
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Sun, 17 Apr 2011 12:00:24 -0400
git-annex (0.20110401) experimental; urgency=low
- Amazon S3 is now supported as a special type of remote. Warning: Encrypting data before sending it to S3 is not yet supported.
- Note that Amazon S3 support is not built in by default on Debian yet, as hS3 is not packaged.
- fsck: Ensure that files and directories in .git/annex/objects have proper permissions.
- Added a special type of remote called a directory remote, which simply stores files in an arbitrary local directory.
- Bugfix: copy --to --fast never really copied, fixed.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Fri, 01 Apr 2011 21:27:22 -0400
git-annex (0.20110328) experimental; urgency=low
- annex.diskreserve can be given in arbitrary units (ie "0.5 gigabytes")
- Generalized remotes handling, laying groundwork for remotes that are not regular git remotes. (Think Amazon S3.)
- Provide a less expensive version of
git annex copy --to, enabled via --fast. This assumes that location tracking information is correct, rather than contacting the remote for every file.
- Bugfix: Keys could be received into v1 annexes from v2 annexes, via v1 git-annex-shell. This results in some oddly named keys in the v1 annex. Recognise and fix those keys when upgrading, instead of crashing.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:47:29 -0400
git-annex (0.20110325) experimental; urgency=low
- Free space checking is now done, for transfers of data for keys that have free space metadata. (Notably, not for SHA* keys generated with git-annex 0.2x or earlier.) The code is believed to work on Linux, FreeBSD, and OSX; check compile-time messages to see if it is not enabled for your OS.
- Add annex.diskreserve config setting, to control how much free space to reserve for other purposes and avoid using (defaults to 1 mb).
- Add --fast flag, that can enable less expensive, but also less thorough versions of some commands.
- fsck: In fast mode, avoid checking checksums.
- unused: In fast mode, just show all existing temp files as unused, and avoid expensive scan for other unused content.
- migrate: Support migrating v1 SHA keys to v2 SHA keys with size information that can be used for free space checking.
- Fix space leak in fsck and drop commands.
- migrate: Bugfix for case when migrating a file results in a key that is already present in .git/annex/objects.
- dropunused: Significantly sped up; only read unused log file once.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Fri, 25 Mar 2011 00:47:37 -0400
git-annex (0.20110320) experimental; urgency=low
- Fix dropping of files using the URL backend.
- Fix support for remotes with '.' in their names.
- Add version command to show git-annex version as well as repository version information.
- No longer auto-upgrade to repository format 2, to avoid accidental upgrades, etc. Use git-annex upgrade when you're ready to run this version.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Sun, 20 Mar 2011 16:36:33 -0400
git-annex (0.20110316) experimental; urgency=low
- New repository format, annex.version=2.
- The first time git-annex is run in an old format repository, it will automatically upgrade it to the new format, staging all necessary changes to git. Also added a "git annex upgrade" command.
- Colons are now avoided in filenames, so bare clones of git repos can be put on USB thumb drives formatted with vFAT or similar filesystems.
- Added two levels of hashing to object directory and .git-annex logs, to improve scalability with enormous numbers of annexed objects. (With one hundred million annexed objects, each directory would contain fewer than 1024 files.)
- The setkey, fromkey, and dropkey subcommands have changed how the key is specified. --backend is no longer used with these.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Wed, 16 Mar 2011 16:20:23 -0400
git-annex (0.24) unstable; urgency=low
Branched the 0.24 series, which will be maintained for a while to support v1 git-annex repos, while main development moves to the 0.2011 series, with v2 git-annex repos.
- Add Suggests on graphviz. Closes: #618039
- When adding files to the annex, the symlinks pointing at the annexed content are made to have the same mtime as the original file. While git does not preserve that information, this allows a tool like metastore to be used with annexed files. (Currently this is only done on systems supporting POSIX 200809.)
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Wed, 16 Mar 2011 18:35:13 -0400
git-annex (0.23) unstable; urgency=low
- Support ssh remotes with a port specified.
- whereis: New subcommand to show where a file's content has gotten to.
- Rethink filename encoding handling for display. Since filename encoding may or may not match locale settings, any attempt to decode filenames will fail for some files. So instead, do all output in binary mode.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Sat, 12 Mar 2011 15:02:49 -0400
git-annex (0.22) unstable; urgency=low
- Git annexes can now be attached to bare git repositories. (Both the local and remote host must have this version of git-annex installed for it to work.)
- Support filenames that start with a dash; when such a file is passed to a utility it will be escaped to avoid it being interpreted as an option. (I went a little overboard and got the type checker involved in this, so such files are rather comprehensively supported now.)
- New backends: SHA512 SHA384 SHA256 SHA224 (Supported on systems where corresponding shaNsum commands are available.)
- describe: New subcommand that can set or change the description of a repository.
- Fix test suite to reap zombies. (Zombies can be particularly annoying on OSX; thanks to Jimmy Tang for his help eliminating the infestation... for now.)
- Make test suite not rely on a working cp -pr. (The Unix wars are still ON!)
- Look for dir.git directories the same as git does.
- Support remote urls specified as relative paths.
- Support non-ssh remote paths that contain tilde expansions.
- fsck: Check for and repair location log damage.
- Bugfix: When fsck detected and moved away corrupt file content, it did not update the location log.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Fri, 04 Mar 2011 15:10:57 -0400
git-annex (0.21) unstable; urgency=low
- test: Don't rely on chmod -R working.
- unannex: Fix recently introduced bug when attempting to unannex more than one file at a time.
- test: Set git user name and email in case git can't guess values.
- Fix display of unicode filenames.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Fri, 11 Feb 2011 23:21:08 -0400
git-annex (0.20) unstable; urgency=low
- Preserve specified file ordering when instructed to act on multiple files or directories. For example, "git annex get a b" will now always get "a" before "b". Previously it could operate in either order.
- unannex: Commit staged changes at end, to avoid some confusing behavior with the pre-commit hook, which would see some types of commits after an unannex as checking in of an unlocked file.
- map: New subcommand that uses graphviz to display a nice map of the git repository network.
- Deal with the mtl/monads-fd conflict.
- configure: Check for sha1sum.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Tue, 08 Feb 2011 18:57:24 -0400
git-annex (0.19) unstable; urgency=low
- configure: Support using the uuidgen command if the uuid command is not available.
- Allow --exclude to be specified more than once.
- There are now three levels of repository trust.
- untrust: Now marks the current repository as untrusted.
- semitrust: Now restores the default trust level. (What untrust used to do.)
- fsck, drop: Take untrusted repositories into account.
- Bugfix: Files were copied from trusted remotes first even if their annex.cost was higher than other remotes.
- Improved temp file handling. Transfers of content can now be resumed from temp files later; the resume does not have to be the immediate next git-annex run.
- unused: Include partially transferred content in the list.
- Bugfix: Running a second git-annex while a first has a transfer in progress no longer deletes the first processes's temp file.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Fri, 28 Jan 2011 14:31:37 -0400
git-annex (0.18) unstable; urgency=low
move --toforgot to stage location log changes after transferring the file to the remote repository. (Did not affect ssh remotes.)
- fsck: Fix bug in moving of corrupted files to .git/annex/bad/
- migrate: Fix support for --backend option.
- unlock: Fix behavior when file content is not present.
- Test suite improvements. Current top-level test coverage: 80%
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:17:44 -0400
git-annex (0.17) unstable; urgency=low
- unannex: Now skips files whose content is not present, rather than it being an error.
- New migrate subcommand can be used to switch files to using a different backend, safely and with no duplication of content.
- bugfix: Fix crash caused by empty key name. (Thanks Henrik for reporting.)
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Sun, 09 Jan 2011 10:04:11 -0400
git-annex (0.16) unstable; urgency=low
- git-annex-shell: Avoid exposing any git repo config except for the annex.uuid when doing configlist.
- bugfix: Running
move --towith a remote whose UUID was not yet known could result in git-annex not recording on the local side where the file was moved to. This could not result in data loss, or even a significant problem, since the remote did record that it had the file.
- Also, add a general guard to detect attempts to record information about repositories with missing UUIDs.
- bugfix: Running
move --towith a non-ssh remote failed.
- bugfix: Running
copy --towith a non-ssh remote actually did a move.
- Many test suite improvements. Current top-level test coverage: 65%
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Fri, 07 Jan 2011 14:33:13 -0400
git-annex (0.15) unstable; urgency=low
- Support scp-style urls for remotes (host:path).
- Support ssh urls containing "~".
- Add trust and untrust subcommands, to allow configuring repositories that are trusted to retain files without explicit checking.
- Fix bug in numcopies handling when multiple remotes pointed to the same repository.
- Introduce the git-annex-shell command. It's now possible to make a user have it as a restricted login shell, similar to git-shell.
- Note that git-annex will always use git-annex-shell when accessing a ssh remote, so all of your remotes need to be upgraded to this version of git-annex at the same time.
- Now rsync is exclusively used for copying files to and from remotes. scp is not longer supported.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Fri, 31 Dec 2010 22:00:52 -0400
git-annex (0.14) unstable; urgency=low
- Bugfix to git annex unused in a repository with nothing yet annexed.
- Support upgrading from a v0 annex with nothing in it.
- Avoid multiple calls to git ls-files when passed eg, "*".
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Fri, 24 Dec 2010 17:38:48 -0400
git-annex (0.13) unstable; urgency=low
- Makefile: Install man page and html (when built).
- Makefile: Add GHCFLAGS variable.
- Fix upgrade from 0.03.
- Support remotes using git+ssh and ssh+git as protocol. Closes: #607056
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:05:10 -0400
git-annex (0.12) unstable; urgency=low
- Add --exclude option to exclude files from processing.
- mwdn2man: Fix a bug in newline supression. Closes: #606578
- Bugfix to git annex add of an unlocked file in a subdir. Closes: #606579
- Makefile: Add PREFIX variable.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:32:00 -0400
git-annex (0.11) unstable; urgency=low
- If available, rsync will be used for file transfers from remote repositories. This allows resuming interrupted transfers.
- Added remote.annex-rsync-options.
- Avoid deleting temp files when rsync fails.
- Improve detection of version 0 repos.
- Add uninit subcommand. Closes: #605749
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Sat, 04 Dec 2010 17:27:42 -0400
git-annex (0.10) unstable; urgency=low
- In .gitattributes, the annex.numcopies attribute can be used to control the number of copies to retain of different types of files.
- Bugfix: Always correctly handle gitattributes when in a subdirectory of the repository. (Had worked ok for ones like ".mp3", but failed for ones like "dir/".)
- fsck: Fix warning about not enough copies of a file, when locations are known, but are not available in currently configured remotes.
- precommit: Optimise to avoid calling git-check-attr more than once.
- The git-annex-backend attribute has been renamed to annex.backend.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Sun, 28 Nov 2010 19:28:05 -0400
git-annex (0.09) unstable; urgency=low
- Add copy subcommand.
- Fix bug in setkey subcommand triggered by move --to.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Sat, 27 Nov 2010 17:14:59 -0400
git-annex (0.08) unstable; urgency=low
git annex add ../foo(when ran in a subdir of the repo).
- Add configure step to build process.
- Only use cp -a if it is supported, falling back to cp -p or plain cp as needed for portability.
- cp --reflink=auto is used if supported, and will make git annex unlock much faster on filesystems like btrfs that support copy on write.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:45:44 -0400
git-annex (0.07) unstable; urgency=low
- find: New subcommand.
- unused: New subcommand, finds unused data. (Split out from fsck.)
- dropunused: New subcommand, provides for easy dropping of unused keys by number, as listed by the unused subcommand.
- fsck: Print warnings to stderr; --quiet can now be used to only see problems.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Mon, 15 Nov 2010 18:41:50 -0400
git-annex (0.06) unstable; urgency=low
- fsck: Check if annex.numcopies is satisfied.
- fsck: Verify the sha1 of files when the SHA1 backend is used.
- fsck: Verify the size of files when the WORM backend is used.
- fsck: Allow specifying individual files if fscking everything is not desired.
- fsck: Fix bug, introduced in 0.04, in detection of unused data.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Sat, 13 Nov 2010 16:24:29 -0400
git-annex (0.05) unstable; urgency=low
- Optimize both pre-commit and lock subcommands to not call git diff on every file being committed/locked. (This actually also works around a bug in ghc, that caused git-annex 0.04 pre-commit to sometimes corrupt filename being read from git ls-files and fail. See http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4493 The excessive number of calls made by pre-commit exposed the ghc bug. Thanks Josh Triplett for the debugging.)
- Build with -O2.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Thu, 11 Nov 2010 18:31:09 -0400
git-annex (0.04) unstable; urgency=low
- Add unlock subcommand, which replaces the symlink with a copy of the file's content in preparation of changing it. The "edit" subcommand is an alias for unlock.
- Add lock subcommand.
- Unlocked files will now automatically be added back into the annex when committed (and the updated symlink committed), by some magic in the pre-commit hook.
- The SHA1 backend is now fully usable.
- Add annex.version, which will be used to automate upgrades between incompatible versions.
- Reorganised the layout of .git/annex/
- The new layout will be automatically upgraded to the first time git-annex is used in a repository with the old layout.
- Note that git-annex 0.04 cannot transfer content from old repositories that have not yet been upgraded.
- Annexed file contents are now made unwritable and put in unwriteable directories, to avoid them accidentially being removed or modified. (Thanks Josh Triplett for the idea.)
- Add build dep on libghc6-testpack-dev. Closes: #603016
- Avoid using runghc to run test suite as it is not available on all architectures. Closes: #603006
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:23:23 -0400
git-annex (0.03) unstable; urgency=low
- Fix support for file:// remotes.
- Add --verbose
- Fix SIGINT handling.
- Fix handling of files with unusual characters in their name.
- Fixed memory leak; git-annex no longer reads the whole file list from git before starting, and will be much faster with large repos.
- Fix crash on unknown symlinks.
- Added remote.annex-scp-options and remote.annex-ssh-options.
- The backends to use when adding different sets of files can be configured via gitattributes.
- In .gitattributes, the git-annex-backend attribute can be set to the names of backends to use when adding different types of files.
- Add fsck subcommand. (For now it only finds unused key contents in the annex.)
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Sun, 07 Nov 2010 18:26:04 -0400
git-annex (0.02) unstable; urgency=low
- Can scp annexed files from remote hosts, and check remote hosts for file content when dropping files.
- New move subcommand, that makes it easy to move file contents from or to a remote.
- New fromkey subcommand, for registering urls, etc.
- git-annex init will now set up a pre-commit hook that fixes up symlinks before they are committed, to ensure that moving symlinks around does not break them.
- More intelligent and fast staging of modified files; git add coalescing.
- Add remote.annex-ignore git config setting to allow completly disabling a given remote.
- --from/--to can be used to control the remote repository that git-annex uses.
- --quiet can be used to avoid verbose output
- New plumbing-level dropkey and addkey subcommands.
- Lots of bug fixes.
-- Joey Hess email@example.com Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:39:29 -0400
git-annex (0.01) unstable; urgency=low
- First prerelease.
-- Joey Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Wed, 20 Oct 2010 12:54:24 -0400