[[!comment format=mdwn username="http://joeyh.name/" ip="108.236.230.124" subject="comment 7" date="2014-09-17T20:20:40Z" content=""" There are a few things that can cause git to leave unreachable objects. These include: Rebasing; interrupting a pull before it updates the refs; running git add on a file and then changing the file's content and adding it a second time before committing. I can think of one case where this happens when using git-annex at the command line: `git annex add $file; git mv $file other-directory; git commit` will result in a dangling object storing the old symlink target before the file was moved. It'd be useful to investigate, by using `git fsck --unreachable` to get a list of currently unreachable objects, and then use `git show` to look at the objects and try to determine where they came from. Ie, are they symlink targets or are they git-annex location log files (formatted as columns of timestamps and uuids). Any unreachable commits would be the most useful to investigate. I see a few loose objects here and there in my annexes, but not very many, and git-gc has cleaned up old ones (> 1 month old). Some of them seem to be location log files. I see those in both repositories where I use the assistant, and repositories where I use only command line git-annex. I was able to find 2 unreachable commits in a repository that runs the assistant full-time; both commits were \"merging origin/synced/git-annex into git-annex\". This suggests to me that perhaps the assistant merged the git-annex branch but that merge was overwritten by another thread that committed changes to the branch at the same time. You should also check the size of inodes on your system; a thousand small loose objects in .git/objects does not normally take up gigabytes of space; with typical inode sizes it might use up a few megabytes. With 1 mb inodes, those same thousand files would use 1 gb.. """]]