[[!comment format=mdwn username="http://joeyh.name/" ip="108.236.230.124" subject="comment 9" date="2014-09-18T16:54:10Z" content=""" That is a very strange commit by every metric. Weird author, weird date, weird filenames in it (not files that git-annex uses!), with apparently some weird binary content (which git-annex would not be committing). Even a weird commit message -- git-annex never makes a commit with a message of \"Initial commit\", and as far as I can tell using `git log -S`, it never has. (OTOH, it's a pretty common example message used in eg, git documentation.) So, I feel pretty sure that dangling commit was not made by git-annex. I think you need to take a look at some of the 4+mb unreachable blobs, to get some idea of what these files are. One way is to use git-show on the hash of one of the blobs to get its content, and then, perhaps pass it to `file` or `strings`. Or, you could stop the assistant, `git checkout 478425bef867782e8ff22aca24316e9421288c49` and have a look at this strange tree that was apparently committed in 2012 to see what's in there. It might be possible that the dangling commits come somehow from the remote server. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that a git pack can end up with dangling objects in it, and then git can pull down that pack to get other, non-dangling objects. You should use `git show` on the server on some of the dangling shas to see if they are present there. """]]