Ticket #207 (new enhancement)
generate tags files and install them with source files
|Reported by:||guest||Owned by:|
I personally depend on tags because the source code only tells what is really going on. So it would be incredible useful to not only get information using ghci after loading libs but also beeing able to jump to all functions you might be using anywhere (The only solution providing this in all cases is uning tags, right? Because cpp defines can introduce new functions.. To be able to jump to the code source must be installed along with libs (the way you can optionally install haddock docs)
setup configure --with-tags --install-source (or something like that) setup build && setup install
do this for each dependency given in the .cabal file (VIM:) let tags+=system('ghc-pkg --query-tagfile-location haskell98-184.108.40.206')
* Which tool to generate tag files?
- ghc(i) when targeting ghc
- the hasktags program shipping with ghc
- some others?
* Tagfile path type relative or absolute?
- absolute: After moving/ installing the sources the tagfile must be patched
- relative: Do editors take the right base directory to find source files?
* When to invoke the tagfile generating program?
- Perfect case would be after all preprocessing has been done (Thus the tagging program should understand line number changing comments!)
* Template Haskell? ( This is really tricky I think ) * Hmm sorted tagfiles would be useful as well :)
If you do not think this is useful (mandatory?)
how do you lookup code? (Yes I know hoogle :) perhaps using Eclipse or Visual Studio?
I'd like to start implementing this somehow the next weeks. So don't hesitate and start discussing