|Version 2 (modified by ijones, 7 years ago)|
Cabal Install (and friends)
Setup.lhs / .cabal
- configure, build, and install commands, etc.
- Compiles / interprets the setup script
- Finds the right version of cabal (based on .cabal file)
- same CLI as Setup
- installs multiple packages in dependency order
- unpacks tarballs, etc
- cabal-install --user --prefix=$HOME/usr foo/foo.cabal bar.tgz (where bar depends on foo)
- cabal-get install foo-1.1
- downloads and installs foo and its dependencies
- network client
- gpg client
- Thin out cabal get so it can be distributed w/ cabal, and have it take over most of the cabal-install features
- sticking point: gnupg. make it optional and highly suggested?
- offer a version of cabal with it included?
- implement cabal-setup (or whatever) as a simple wrapper script
- eliminate the cabal-install layer
The darcs version of cabal comes with a prototype of cabal-install. Try it out!