The epub-metadata package

[Tags: bsd3, library]

Library for parsing and manipulating ePub OPF metadata. An attempt has been made here to very thoroughly implement the metadata portion of the OPF Package Document specification. Also included is a command-line utility to dump ePub metadata to stdout in a human-readable form.


[Skip to ReadMe]

Properties

Versions1.0.2, 2.0.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.1.0, 2.2.0.0, 2.2.0.1, 2.3.0, 2.3.1, 2.3.2, 3.0, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3
Change logNone available
Dependenciesbase (>=3 && <5), HSH, hxt, mtl [details]
LicenseBSD3
Copyright2010 Dino Morelli
AuthorDino Morelli
MaintainerDino Morelli <dino@ui3.info>
Stabilityexperimental
CategoryCodec, Text
Home pagehttp://ui3.info/d/proj/epub-metadata.html
Executablesepub-meta
UploadedWed May 12 01:45:11 UTC 2010 by DinoMorelli
DistributionsNixOS:4.3
Downloads2291 total (99 in last 30 days)
Votes
0 []
StatusDocs uploaded by user
Build status unknown [no reports yet]

Modules

[Index]

Downloads

Maintainers' corner

For package maintainers and hackage trustees

Readme for epub-metadata-1.0.2

-----
Building:

   Easy with cabal-install, of course:

      $ cabal install epub-metadata

   Or the conventional way:

      $ runhaskell Setup.hs configure
      $ runhaskell Setup.hs build
      $ runhaskell Setup.hs test
      $ runhaskell Setup.hs haddock
      $ runhaskell Setup.hs install


-----
Why was this done?

   The motivation for this project grew out of my desire to take charge
   of missing or incorrect ePub metadata in books I have purchased. I
   started out using the Calibre open source tools for examining this
   info. Limitations and incomplete implementation of those tools led
   me here to build a more complete implementation in the programming
   language that I love beyond all others.


-----
Why didn't I just use existing solutions?

   - Calibre ebook-meta utility

      I experienced various problems using this software, such as:

      Incomplete and in some cases incorrect handling of tags that can
      exist more than once, particularly when they are differentiated
      using attributes according to the spec.

      Unable to display many fields in the OPF Package Document metadata
      specification. Unable to manipulate data that is represented as
      attributes of tags in the OPF spec.

      Astonishingly slow performance. The command-line tool in this
      new Haskell project is more than 45 times faster at parsing
      and displaying ePub metadata. I'm going to blame Python here for
      Calibre's performance. This has had a big impact on projects where
      I've been processing hundreds of ePubs in batch operations.

      To be fair, an effort is being made in Calibre to work with both
      ePub and Sony LRF book documents. That is going to naturally require
      a lowest-common-denominator approach. My focus here was to work
      with ePub only, and thoroughly support the OPF specification.


   - epub on Hackage, EPUB E-Book construction support library

      The focus of this project seems to be with building new documents,
      not parsing existing files. And there is a specific attempt to
      do more than the metadata, to gather up the content and other
      metafiles that make up an ePub for creation.

      Examining Codec.Ebook.OPF.Types, most of the metadata fields
      from the OPF Package Document spec are missing or aren't modeled
      thoroughly. I felt to contribute to this project, I would have
      had to significantly rip up the types and redesign them.

      At this time I felt it was a better solution for me to start fresh
      with modelling these types and code to manipulate them. That said,
      I would be very interested in combining the epub and epub-metadata
      projects at some point in some way that makes sense.


   - zip-archive on Hackage

      I started out using zip-archive for this work but soon found that
      it has problems with some poorly-made ePub files. Nearly 300 or 40%
      of the books I have are unreadable at this time with zip-archive.

      As ugly as it sounds, I found the most reliable solution right
      now is to use the unzip shell utility to extract the relevant XML
      documents from ePub books. This is why the dependency on HSH. I'm
      not thrilled with this situation and would like to find time to
      dig into the zip file spec and submit patches to zip-archive.

      But also note that epub-meta is obscenely fast even with invoking
      a shell for unzipping. Haskell FTW!


-----
A word about the version numbering scheme:

   4-part: major.minor.status.build
   3-part: major.status.build

   status:
      0 alpha
      1 beta
      2 release candidate
      3 release

   examples:
      1.3.0.2         v1.3 alpha build 2
      1.2.1.0         v1.2 beta build 0
      4.2.24          v4 release candidate build 24
      2.10.3.5        v2.10 release build 5 (say they were bug fixes)
      1.5.2.20090818  Can even use a date for build
                      v1.5 release candidate 2009-08-18 build